Going crazy! :(

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Alezunde, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

Yesterday my computer was working just fine.
    Today, my computer decided to spazz out and not work. (This morning the Device Manager showed up blank, and windows didn't load properly.)
    I managed to get Windows XP reinstalled and working properly, but my sound device still isn't working.

As illustrated in figure A, the drivers for my sound card are installed properly, and the device is working properly.

However, as illustrated by figure B, I cannot set the device for audio playback.

Any help at would be appreciated -- I've tried everything that I can think of so far. :(
    (This includes reinstallation of Windows software, the sound card drivers, driver updates, etc.)

Figure A
    [​IMG]

Figure B
    [​IMG]

Thanks again :(

-Alezunde

2. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Hi m8 is this a onboard soundcard? becasue if you have a onboard soundcard and a pci soundcard disable the one you are not using so windows looks at the other as default. I would make sure u download the newest drivers or use the ones staight of the cd to make sure the drivers are properly matched. I will have a think of more soulutions if these dont work and post back later. hope ut helps Dave :cool:

3. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

The sound card is built in to my Motherboard, which is an Intel 915P PF4.
    I've even tried going into my BIOS and switching the audio device on/off. :(

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Try re-installing DirectX, get DX 9.0c if possible!

5. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

It seems that I already have the latest version of DirectX. (9.0c)

*Further Note: I have also made sure that the audio properties of my device have been enabled.

6. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

Update:
    The DirectMusic test in my DXDiag Utility seems able to play sound just fine through my sound device.
    However, Microsoft Synthesizer refuses to play sound.
    (It complains to me with an error that there are no sound drivers installed -- however, as illustrated by Figure A in my first post, my drivers are installed (and reinstalled several times) and the device is working properly. Windows Device Manager recognizes the card just fine.)

7. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

Update:
    I purchased a new sound card and installed it. The same thing is happening.

8. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

Further Update:
    It seems that my problems are much more serious than sound card issues.
    I cannot reinstall windows properly, I cannot uninstall windows at all, and I cannot format my C Drive. (I have tried every way that I can think of.)

Right now all I want is to be able to format my C drive and reinstall everything.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

10. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

Someone else built the computer for me. (They offered, otherwise I would have done it myself.)
    It came working perfectly fine. It ran beautifully for two days before everything went to hell.

I think the part that disturbs me the most at this point is the fact that I can't reformat my drive!

11. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Have you tried a Linux Live CD to reformat?
    Most of them have formatting and partitioning tools!

12. Alezunde

Alezunde Geek Trainee

I have now successfully reformatted my hard drive, and I am in the process of installing CD-Rom drivers so that I can reinstall windows...

13. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

does XP take a boot disk? Cause if it does go to bootdisk.com to get it