Good Quality Sound

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Soph, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Soph

Soph Geek Trainee

Hey... Iam beginnin the process of building my own computer that is going to be used solely for recording... I want to be able to use many devices (1/4" jack, USB, IEEE, audio inputs)... at a good quality.... for a decent price.. if anyone has suggestions for brands or even a good website, any help would be appreciated!

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

You'll most likely want an Audigy Card if the quality is important.

This one is 108Db, and 24bit. 7.1 speaker support, should provide a hell of a sound experience. It is around £120 though.

Here.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

...information from Creative.com:

Recording and production excellence for the home-studio.

The Sound Blaster® Audigy™ 2 ZS Platinum Pro is the ultimate 7.1 studio solution for musicians and audio enthusiasts. It supports ASIO 2.0 and SoundFont 2.1 and can record up to 6 simultaneous channels at 24-bit/96kHz. It supports 24-bit ADVANCED HD audio at 108dB SNR, and offers musicians extensive digital and analogue connectivity via its External I/O Hub. Breathtaking music playback is assured via Advanced Resolution™ DVD-Audio support at up to 24-bit/192kHz in stereo or 24-bit/96kHz in 5.1, together with full Windows Media 9 compatibility. Superior results in games and movies come from its support for EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD, Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, plus the unique THX Console for precise speaker calibration via the included remote control.

* External I/O Hub delivers optical and coaxial SPDIF, 3 analogue line-ins (or 2 line-ins and 1 mic in), full-size MIDI I/O, headphone output, 2 FireWire connectors and master volume control with push mute.
    * 24-bit/96kHz ASIO 2.0 support for high-quality, ultra-low latency recording of up to 6 simultaneous channels.
    * Compact remote gives extensive control for playback and navigation of media
    * SoundFont 2.1 support allows musicians and audio designers to create custom digital audio sample banks for use in music composition or recordings.
    * Unique THX Console allows users to set distance, volume level and angle of each speaker to create the perfect ‘sweet-spot'.
    * Extensive utilities include Audio Cleanup, for removal of clicks and background hiss; SVM™, which equalises playback volume across an album or playlist; Crossfading which auto-fades between tracks and CMSS 3D, which allows users to up-mix stereo content to up to 7.1 channels.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well suggested Waffle, basically the Creative brand of computer audio equipment and hardware is viewed as the best computer audio manufacturer.

You can almost guarantee that anyone not using onboard sound but a PCI based sound card will be using a Creative Sound Card or device.

However the ZS Pro is quite expensive in my opinion, however if you are looking for really good recording then you really should spend as much on your sound card as possible.

If you post back with how much you ideally would like to spend and we can work around it :)

:good: