got the z5500 speakers and planning to get X-fi

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by someblackguy7130, Jun 17, 2006.

1. someblackguy7130

someblackguy7130 Geek Trainee

well i want to get the x-fi, so should i just stick with analog?

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

the X-Fi has Optical and Coax output on them i belive.

3. someblackguy7130

ooo i did some research and the x-fi xtrememusic does NOT have those. u have to get the platimum edition with the external bay thing which does have those connector. so ill order the platinum. thx! also wats better optical or coax?

4. Willz

i dunno, they both transfer data in 1's and 0's so there same exept optical using patterns of light to transfer the data and coax uses electric.

5. someblackguy7130

ok i finally got the x-fi platinum, i connected my logitech speakers with the spdif thing in the external control panel thing. then i connect my 5.1 headphones to the analog connections on the actual card. now the problem is i dont think the spdif (coax) is getting surround sound. like when i do the speaker test and the lady says like front left center front right rear right and rear left the rears are getting mixed up with the front left and rights like they play together. i have no problem with my headphones though. what settings should i put it on so both my headphones and my speakers will be true 5.1?

6. Willz

umm, i dunno, i am planning on purchasing an X-FI Fatality sound card or w.e its called, but i will be using Optical, apparently with the z-5500's you cant get DTS ith Coax, i dunno about 5.1 tho.

try just setting your effect to 6 ch direct if possible then run that test thing again and see if you get all speakers right then.

Also with music you wont get true 5.1 anyway as most MP3's are only 2channel i belive, try a game, set it to 5.1 on your control center and see what its like, i cant say exatly what to do as i dont have the x-fi all i have is the speakers so i can only try to help :)

7. someblackguy7130

it wont let me to direct because i am only using coax. i put the setting on stereo x2 and still not working, i also tried diff settings but this is the one close enough.

also i tried THX worlds deepest bass o.0 OMG i turned the thing all the way up and my house started falling apart.. i could barely breathe cuz it was vibrating my windpipe soo much. its amazing. also its kinda close to surround like say left the voice does come from left speaker but also from the left side of center speaker.. i know it wierd.. if someone knows what settings to put it on plz plz tell me!

im using my headphones and there AWSOME now. OMG surround is soo awsome this sound card is awsome!
    thx

8. Willz

set your equilizers so the bass is even louder and go close ot the sub, oyu may not have to, and try to hear if there is a wierd sound coming from the sub, like clicking or vibrating noise, its pretty loud, i get it becouse i am apparently pushing the sub too hard.

Hmmm, what is your sound card configuration in the control panel, send some screenies.

9. someblackguy7130

i have coax on my logitech speakers and then i have analog 5.1 on my 5.1 headset at the same time.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2228/24bit2oq.jpg
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5347/cmss3d9ja.jpg
    http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8619/eq1og.jpg
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8716/mixer2nl.jpg

these are my settings for game mode which i use for games and when i do the noise/channel thing at the bottom it doesnt do it right on coax speakers but does it fine for my analog 5.1 headset. i pretty much have same settings for entertainment mode..

10. Willz

try turning that crystilizer thing off and see what that does.
    untick Enable EAX effects aswell, if that doesent help, just put em bk on, i dont know what these setitngs do but i heard somthing about them before.

11. someblackguy7130

yea well its not exact from each exact speaker but i can tell its surround sound. maybe thats how its supposed to be. well anyways everything sounds AWSOME.

thx for all ur help guys im gonna b enjoying this for a long time :D

12. Willz

np, your speakers are great, i bet they would sound really good in the middle of a field lol :p

i am going to order the x-fi fatality thing with that front panel and go for optical.

are you able to select DTS with coax? if not, get optical, some movies use DTS.

13. someblackguy7130

yes i am able to choose dts and all options available. i htink optical and coax are pretty much the same. but yea it sounds amazing :)

14. Willz

one question, inbetween that main box of the sub and the front part with the grill and the 4 screws in, is there a small gap inbetween that with the 4 screws in and the main box?

15. someblackguy7130

there is a small gap but only around the sides, not the actual screw place... is this a bad thing?

16. Willz

nah i dont think so, i am wondering if i can take the front grill off totally and just have the speaker showing, that would be quite a neat idea, maybe even replace the grill with somthing else and spray pain the subwoofer so it looks groovy :p

17. someblackguy7130

good idea :good: