Graphical representation of disk in Win2k

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by pokemoen, Oct 2, 2003.

1. pokemoen

pokemoen Geek Trainee

Hello all,

Something I've been wondering about for sometime now: why doesn't Windows 2000 have the same defragmentation GUI as the old Win98 version?

The Win2kServer/WinXP/Win2003 versions have the cool before&after bars for files, but what I really miss are the little blocks that represent sectors... (especially BAD sectors)

Is there any software out there that gives a clear representation of the disk surface, with bad sectors and all... for win2k?

Thanks!

:afs: :afs: :afs:

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

My guess is that since 2k is based off NT rather than 95, the setup.
    Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 software titles that can do the job. First, Norton Utilities has a pretty good defragger. Unfortunately, the NU suite has some apps that tend to hose your system, and for that reason, I can't recommend going out and buying it. The only thing with Norton on it I'll vouch for is their AntiVirus. Second, Disk Keeper is very nice. They have a lite version available in case you don't feel like buying the full program. Third, Perfect Disk: this will also do what you want, and claims to be better than Disk Keeper. I really can't say I've used it, but a lot of people seem to like it. Lastly, O&O Defrag; also claims to be better than DK. I've run this once before and it seems to be pretty quick. There is also a trial version you can download for it as well.

4. pokemoen

pokemoen Geek Trainee

I downloaded the trial of O&O Defrag, but at first sight I don't see how bad sectors/blocks are represented here.. Does it inform the user of bad sectors at all?

Thanks for the other tips!

(note: I'm not looking especially for defrag software, I'm more interested in the amount of bad blocks on a disc)

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member