Great now is my PSU going out?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Exfoliate, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I've been waiting for this day. My "Orion" P4 ready 17a 'came-with-case' psu may very well be dying I suspect. My system was really weird today. First GTA: SA minimizes itself and takes forever to reopen. When it does I get like 1/2 a fps so I just restart. It works, for a little while, and does the same thing again. I raise my arm in the air and bellow SPYWARE! So I use spybot S and D and lo and behold I have a ton of it. So I get rid of everything and stuff is still sluggish. iTunes takes a while to open and I get the whole hourglass thing as I switch tracks. It takes a while to reboot now and just a few minutes ago I was surfing the old web and I hit the back button and get nothing. After a few more times it just sort of hangs and then my entire system crashes to the very tail end of a BSOD while rebooting.
    Weird huh? So do you guys think I should but that $36 thermaltake psu? I'm selling this puppy but the last thing I need is some enraged buyer demanding a refund and giving me negitive feedback and a dead PC. What do you all think?

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh, also when my home screen came up (HWF's naturally) I had to log my self in, I always keep myself logged in, same with the OC forums, I had to re enter my pass and username. I guess it does that when it has to recover from a critical error.

3. Addis

Addis The King

First I'd actually check your RAM, if you have 2 sticks only try one etc. One bad stick of RAM was giving me a full year of trouble with my crap PC and took a year to find out what it was.

Exfoliate likes this.
  4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Unfortunatly I only have a sigle stick of ram. No probs in memtest. May try it again. I'll probably just but the psu as I'd feel bad giving someone a ticking time bomb.
    Thanks man.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Yea it might well be your PSU, and even if its not, get a cheap but good quality one to sell it with. Probably get more for it aswell.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i'd definitely buy a named PSU, if it costs you $36 then you may be able to add at least $50-$60 and then there might be more people interested when they see the quote "includes a trusted brand name quality PSU from....."

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I trust Thermaltake, it may be cheap but it's one of Newegg's highest rated products.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

go for it, i've heard good things about thermaltake units, they are quite cheap as well, go with what you know and trust on this...

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee