half life 2 - what card will i need?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by nirvana, Apr 28, 2005.

1. nirvana

nirvana Geek Trainee

hi all
    I am thinking of getting half life 2 for my pc for online play. i have a p4 2.66ghz cpu 80 gig hd 760 ddr ram and i have a 1 meg broad band conection. the problem is will i need a new graphics card (since i have an inbuilt 64mb) does i am looking to spend around £80-£100 does any1 no what card i should get and is there anything eles i need to buy/upgrade to play half life 2 online?

cheers :)

p.s alternativly feel free to email me ur answer-- [email protected] :good:

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

You will need a new graphics card to properly experience the game.

It might play on that current set up, but the integrated cards are usually poor quality. The rest of your system is fine for HL2 though.

For £80-£100, you can pick up a Radeon 9600XT, however for about £20 you can get a Radeon 9800PRO, which is what I have, and it handles the game fantastically.

3. nirvana

nirvana Geek Trainee

:good: thanx waffle! what do u think of the game?

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

absolutely awesome.

Although I've played the bundled Counter-Strike:Source so much more, you'll get addicted, I guarantee it. :)

5. nirvana

nirvana Geek Trainee

kool, all my mates play it online so i thought y not? I have played call of duty online but it was jumpy but im not sure if that was my bandwidth or just my pc. i play things like medal of honour online on my ps2 and thats ace :p

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I doubt it was your bandwidth nirvana, concidering your 1MB connection is very good, blame it on the integrated gfx, though Call of Duty used a modified version of the now over 5 year old Quake 3 engine it can still bring decent PC's down with all the action.
    And for the record Nirvana is a really cool group.

7. nirvana

nirvana Geek Trainee

cheers for the info. yar nirvana rock :good: