Hard Drive Enclosures

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by shomz, Mar 8, 2005.

1. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

Ive been seeing these Hard Drive Enclosures a lot lately in stores and advertised online, i dont know much about them...

Heres my situation. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine bought a laptop and sold me her computer, I just wanted to use it for parts, but i havent done anything with it yet. She has a laptop and now wants all her music from her old computer. I didnt want to burn about 500 CD/RWs of all her music. What I wanted to do was put the Hard Drive in an Enclosure much like this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-746&depa=0

If the hard drive already has an operating system on it. Will it work as a slave drive on the other computer. I wasnt sure if her new computer with XP would conflict if the drive had windows 98SE.

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Well you could either burn an MP3 cd, allowing like 300 songs on the cd at once, give or take a bit. Or get her to buy a USB Pendrive and transfer it manually.

OR

Get a crossover cable and run the XP File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

But yeah that hard disk would work, just hook it up to the pc, add the music, hook it up to the laptop and it will appear as a removeable drive, much like a USB Pendrive.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Your cheapest option is to network them and transfer all the music shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes for 20GBbytes.

or just tell her you no longer have the music as it was all shite :D