harddisk failing :(

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by RZA, Jan 5, 2003.

1. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

First of all: Happy New Year !!!
    And then my problem :( , it happend around 2 mounths after I got the new harddisk and b4 I had no problems at all.

Lately when I start my pc it sometimes doesnt see any drives or it only see's my harddisk but the ID it completly wrong and it wont start either (so instead of WD800BJ I get WD %%%&%((*, u get the point)
    and if I turn the power of enough times it sometimes it see's everyone normal and it starts again(most times my cdrw drive isnt detected either)

When I could manage to get windows running(as I've done now :) ) it most times is verry unstable, like when I started counterstrike and I went away and came back and pressed tab and the system restarts

Also I've heard weird ticking noise's coming from the harddisk one time it did it like 5 times in a row(I think those noise's are when its spining up cause it does the same when I turn the power on but it should never do it just random)

Anyone have any idea's b4 I retrun it to the shop and hafta burn 40gb of my movies on cd's :swt: ?

And could this be a mainboard problem ?

Thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you bought that drive retail, the floppy disk with it should have a tool for diagnosing the hard drive. If not, Western Digital does have a download for a tool to analyze the hard drive and tell you if it's bad.

3. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I didnt get any disk but I'm gonna download it from their site
    I've done this a few weeks b4 this happends also :)

Hopes that explains something

EDIT: I've made a bootdisk with data lifeguard but when I start it it says couldnt load dos press any key to retry and then it restarts

I've checked the S.M.A.R.T settings with some app and it says its fitness and preformace are the best

Is WDC WD800JB-00CRA1 the right name for my drive, I didnt think CRA was in it but this is how my bios reports the disk now

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

my harddisk is working normal now but my cdrom isnt detected :*(
    Could it be that its a problem with my mainboard ?

I really need to get my cdrw working cuze i need to burn cd's for my mates

When I was in some pc shop I heard some1 saying philips cdrw have a few problems sometimes is this true ?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't heard that philips in particular has had major issues. I know at least 2 people with the same philips burner I had and it' still working for them. Mine started acting up, locking my PC up, so I yanked it out.

If you have any spares sitting around, try replacing both the IDE cables, and also check both ends of the chain to make sure it's all properly connecting.

6. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

ok its working again :D
    I did the cdrw on secondary ide channel and it works again I think the wire wasnt working or something

I'm using a ata 33 cabel now this cant cause any problems can it, I dont care about the speeds as I hardly ever copy from a cd to hd

7. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

I can't imagine it causing any problems, but you should probably try to at least get an ATA/66 cable.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I doubt you'll see much of a decrease in performance as IDE disks can only manage a sustained transfer rate of 40MB/s. Probably not noticable at all, if any.

9. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

thats what I thought :)

I burned a cd at 32x speed and it worked fine :)