HDMI - DVI Set up

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Kai, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kai

Kai Geek Trainee

ive got a ps3, and a samsung syncmaster sm245B screen, and i want to play my PS3 on it.

should i get a HDMI - DVI cable to put into my screen since i got no HDMI ports, or VGA(used by screen)

but does the HDMI-DVI cable automatically automatically enable my monitor speakers like a hdmi-hdmi cable does on other screens?

Even normally i dont know how to make sound come out of this monitor, its got built in speakers but i dont know how to use them, theres an audio power slot in the back of the monitor, dunno what sorta plug is meant to go in there...

But any way, just need a way to play HD PS3 on this screen with sound and video!

- Kai

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

HDMI -> DVI cable should work fine, as I'm using it with my Dell 2407.

It will not enable the speakers, you will need to buy (or you might already have) the correct cables to connect the PS3 to the monitor speaker input or just use external speakers.

3. Kai

Kai Geek Trainee

Ermm.. what sort of cable do i need to connect the PS3 to the monitor speaker input, or maybe even my monitor to my speakers..

Ive got some weird 2.1 speakers that dont have the red/white jack like most other speakers do.

And my monitor has the audio slot that has like a sort of silver pin inside of it, and the slot is a circular shape =D

- Kai

4. Sniper

Looks like what you need is Gold-Plated 2 Phono Sockets to 3.5mm Stereo Plug Adaptor > Maplin or Amazon.co.uk: 1001Cables - 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 Phono Sockets 2m: Electronics & Photo (if you need something longer)

I think the PS3 comes with AV cables, which include red and white, you need to plug those in the adaptor and the other end into the speakers.

Not forgeting you need to change the settings under PS3 audio settings.

Alternative; buy cheap ps3 speakers PS3 Next Gen 2.1 Speakers in black for PS3 – Buy Online Cheap Video Games - UK Shop :)

5. Kai

Kai Geek Trainee

Will this still work if i want to play HD Ps3 (1080P) for sound and stuff.
    Because i dont think the AV adapter does HD.

6. Sniper

you will use the HDMI for video (1080p) and AV adaptor for sounds, the only other way is; if you have speakers which have optical input.

7. Kai

Kai Geek Trainee

8. Kai

Kai Geek Trainee

*bump

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Wait, what are you using for your speakers? As in, what are you sending audio from the PS3 too?