Heat sinks...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Big B, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I'm preparing for an upgrade over a period of time. My A7V has gotten kinda old and upgrade limited so the board needs to be replaced.

I'm going to purchase and Athlon XP later on, because I can't afford it all at once, but I do need a nice heatsink with some room for OC ing

I'm looking at the Vantec copper-bottom cooler or the Dragon Orb 3. However, the DO3 looks like it could be pretty tight on the boards I'm looking at

Abit KG7-RAID
    KR7A-RAID
    Soyo Dragon

etc.

Has anyone had experience with this one, and if so, how loud is the fan. I don't want a Delta on their driving me insane. :beer:

2. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

I would say from experience of my DO3 (on a 1.4ghz) that it's slightly quieter than a Delta, and I mean slightly....not a great deal in it.

BUT, it is a very good HSF though, and well recommended. :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What mobo ya got?

4. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

I'm using an Asus A7V266. Only just changed over from an IWill KA266-R.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm.

Have you done any OC'ing with the Dragon Orb3?

6. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Whoah, sorry mate I didn't get an email for the reply to this one!!

I'm not really into OC'ing to be honest, but I did try it upto 1.6ghz and it held firm at 50C. Which isn't too bad considering normally I'm running at 43C.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No, not too bad, mate.

8. Gondo

Gondo Geek Trainee

Big B,

I hear ya. I need a efficient heatsink combo, but I can't handle the Jet Engine running at Idle in my apartment.

Just try to stick with a good copper heatsink, and the plus for Athalons and P4's is the heatsink is a pretty standard squarish thing. Try to stay away from the oval ones, as it isn't the exact optimum shape for a square fan. If you stick with the square shape, you can get almost any size adapter, and graft an 80mm or even 120mm fan on the beast. The trick is to experiment, and use a larger fan, at lower RPM that pushes more air volume.

The Volcano 7+ is a good combo, but with the 60mm fan that runs up to 4000rpm, even though you have a 3 speed switch, high speed is out of the question, and medium even bothers you.

Slow speed just doesn't cut it, it doesn't push enough air to be useful. I am contemplating 56c temps under full load on my P4 3.06 because even on medium it drives me nuts.

Yes, I am definately in the market for a decent combo, that is quiet, and efficient.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've got a Vantec CCK-6027D in my main box. Not terribly loud, but could be a little quiter. In the last box I put together for myself, I used a Volcano 7 (no "+") and replaced the TT 80mm fan with a green LED fan. I'll have something up with that showing in my next article.