Help building Dream Machine 2004!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SirDeity, Mar 13, 2004.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Could I run two games at the same time with duel Xeon processors?

Also, could I play the same game in two different windows with duel Xeon processors? For example, could I play an MMORPG like EverQuest or World of Warcraft on two separate accounts (two separate characters) at the same time (via two separate windows)?

I'm trying to imagine scenarios where duel Xeon processors would be advantageous for gaming.

2. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That front 120mm would be great for blowing across the SCSI drives, as they will get pretty warm from operation.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'll get back to the Video Card a bit.

Right now I wouldn't by a video card because the next gen will come out very shortly (couple of weeks) and some say they'll be twice as fast as the fastest card that's available right now so I would wait and , considering the money you have, get the best one which will either be the R420 (ATI) or NV40 (Nvidia). No one can say which one will be better just yet since they're not out, but nvidia will certainly want to make people forget about the FX which was a huge disapointment (but for those who paid the big price for one and that are too upset to admit the truth).

5. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Harrack! Heya bro! I was worried that you might not respond to my thread! Thanks for the advice. It'll be at least two weeks before I purchase anything anyway.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Hi what's up ?

I doubt those cards will be out in 2 weeks though.

I've read that the 9800 non-pro will become the upper mainstream card. That's how fast the new cards will be.

And I have no doubt believing it since Far Cry does not run smoothly on my system with all the graphics set to max. I have to set them to medium.

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

one of my bro's friend's dad works in an intel plant in oregon. hes really high up i supose and gets to bring home stuff and test it. he gave my brother's friend a pentium5 for like a beta test. i havent heard much about it, but its like 4 gighz or something like that, thats all i know. lol it sounds like a party, you might want to wait until those come out if they come out in the very near future. might wanna take a peek see into those. i would still go with xeon, i think the p5 price would be outrageous... yeah... wait for a video card, like harrack said. patience is a virtue, for some ;) (not i)

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The next move Intel is making is to LGA775...and the CPU will still be P4. If it is a P5, it's still in beta stages yet. Prescott is the new core, and should be better off when the influx of LGA775 boards hit. Prescott will be scaling into the 4GHz relm.

LGA775 is different than the traditional socket. Basically, the pins are in the socket itself, and there are only contact pads on the CPU.

P5 is a long way off.

9. fostytou

fostytou Geek Trainee

- CPU
    go for an athlon 64 now if you want... but quite a few nice processors are coming out this summer. Real world performance puts the athlon way above intels new 64 chips on windows machines..... the chips had to be made to match AMD's instruction set since Intel hit the market late.

- Motherboard
    havn't been doing enough research on these to fit the processor yet

- Memory
    pc4400 in 1gb sticks would be my recommendation... ive seen some good pc3500 2gb chips but what is the point of that?

- Video Card
    I would go for the 9800XT ... beware PCI-X is the next thing and Nvidia is going to have to bridge their first set of cards (a bunch of upsets! march madness!)

- Sound Card
    Creative was always just OK.... i'll leave it at that

- Hard Drives
    I can give you a lesson if you want... PM me. If i had the kind of money you are talking about for a PC I would be looking into a non-volitile solid state for my main drive (Mach computing uses them now, but they have a very good interface that i believe is otherwise unavailable).... you cant beat 5gb/s bandwidth for loading OS/current project related material. For the other drive(s) I would go with Dual 10,000RPM SATA raid (mirroring) for the drives you want super fast... and for the final drive that just needs to store shit and be reliable.... any good SATA will do... but I would build a terybyte server :)..... gigabit ethernet and 4 fast IDE 250gb drives on a nicely networked server would be nice

- DVD/CD Player
    This is probably better than ok for just doing whatever....

- DVD/CD Burner
    I would get the Pioneer drive thats used as the superdrive (105 i believe) or a better 8x.... i hear the new pioneer 8x drives are not that great

- Case & Cooling
    I have taken a much more conservative look to my PCs lately.... i think they should look good but not obnoxious. A little blue accent here and there is OK but otherwise I just have a sonata case. If you used cascade cooling you could get the temp down to -110deg which runs a prescott at 5.1Ghz, but this would require alot of work/space. With that kind of budget you may want to look into a Larger full tower case with a peltier/water setup (dangerden has very good watercooling products like the Maze)

- Monitor
    The response time only refers to LCDs. Some people say they see ghosting at 40ms, but my 1900FP runs at that and I don't notice it at all.

I would Much recommend a nice flatpanel setup though.... speaking of Mach computing they have a $17,000 grand canyon display that is TITS. There are also a few nice NEC 30" LCDs. If you spend this much on a computer that lasts you a year.... why not spend a bit more on something that will improve the health of your eyes and the enjoyment of your working area by alot?

When it all comes down to this though... I cant help but recommend that you just buy a G5 dual 3ghz (since it seems you program also) and get dual Cinema displays. Thats just the newly found mac lover in me though (i used to be a PC zealot). They are really nice either way, but they often don't turn out at their full potential running off a PC, but it would *work* if you really wanted it to.
    [/QUOTE]

email or PM me if you have questions

10. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Wow! Thanks, fostytou! I might just send you a PM once I have the money in hand! Thanks for the post!

11. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

souns like a beast of a pc to me , what do you plan on doing with the one your on now?

12. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Two words: Baseball Bat .... =P Seriously, though, I'll probably just take it apart and use my old computers as parts to play around with. I like the idea of taking them apart and putting them back together again.

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Good way to learn about that stuff.

14. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You could learn Linux and experiment with all kinds of servers: print, file, dhcp, domain (a domain of 2 computers lol), etc.

that's why I'm slowly building a second system.