help is my hard drive fried???

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by x stormy x, Nov 4, 2006.

1. x stormy x

x stormy x Geek Trainee

my kids pc which has been runnin pretty ok and is not connected to the net, suddenly started to fail to boot up after the windows logo it just stays blank so i started it in safe mode which is now the only way it will boot. i tried puttin in the xp home disk to resetore the drive and the whole screene went blue with this error message:
    a probblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computerif this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen . restart your computer and if this screene appears again follow these steps:
    tech info ***stop:0x0000007b(0xf7c84640,0xc0000034, 0x0000000,0
    scan for virus remove recently added harddrives or hard drive controller, check harddrive is properly configured
    run: chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption and resart.
    firstly i am uinable to run any virus checks as the error appears befor i can do this no hard drives have been added but when iwent to defrag the c drive it is in 2 parts one says (c:) and one says c(d:) after defrag i restarted and got a blue screen error again stop:c000021a unknown hard error.is there any way i can take out this partition?

i am a partial newb so any info will be appreciated ...ultimately i want to know how to boot upt he pc in normal mode not safe and how to fix the errors.

thanks t all you pc gurus who are goin to help me lolz

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, from what the Microsoft KB says, there's some corrupted files.

What you can do is boot off the XP disc, and install the OS over itself. Make sure that you DO NOT format the hard drive and that you have the product key for XP handy. If this is a pre-built system, it should be on a sticker on the system.

3. x stormy x

x stormy x Geek Trainee

i have the disk xp home and the product key , how do i boot off the disk just installing the OS whilst ensuring i dont format the harddrive? i did try putting int he xp disk whilst in safe mode and got the second error message:
    stop:c000021a unknown hard error.
    so ive not tried anything else untill i get a bit of advice on what to do next, as ive 3 pc's and have had them for 6 years and not experienced anything like this , i am not sure if its bad ior very bad ...if you know what i mean ....any advice greatfullly recieved.
    x stormy x

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

[link=http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx]How to install Windows XP by Microsft[/link]