Help me build this computer!

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by bainezor, Nov 30, 2013.

1. bainezor

bainezor Geek Trainee

So basically my friend has about 3-4k to spend on a new desktop for gaming, he's gone and researched a few different parts he can use to upgrade his computer.

• He will be keeping his mouse, keyboard and monitor the same, so don't worry about those.
    So anyway, for each of the parts below, he's come up with a few choices he wants to go with.
    If whoever wants to participate could...
    1. Go through the list and choose (in your opinion) the best part.
    2. Compile a final list of your own (you can just copy and paste the one below and erase the options you don't want).
    3. If you would like to suggest a better alternative, please explain why it's better and here we go!

Motherboard

Asus Maximum VI formula

CPU
    Intel Core (Haswell) i7-4770k processor (8m cache, up to 3.90GHz)

GPU
    - AMD R9 290X
    or
    - GTX 780ti

(help!) Apparently the GTX is superior, with the radeon also running at higher temps (at around 90 degrees Celsius)

SSD - MUST BE 250GB OR ABOVE
    - Samsung Evo
    or
    - Intel

(Not sure which brand is better)

HDD - WANTS TO RUN RAID 0
    - Any good brand suggestions for 2x 1TB harddrives?

Power SupplyCan anyone help with suggesting this too? I'm guessing it'll have to be powerful enough of course...

RAM
    (16gb)
    Can't decide between:
    - G.Skill ripjaws X series
    or
    - Corsair vengeance pro

Cooling method
    (Does not want mineral oil cooling)
    Right now, he's thinking between
    -H110 corsair liquid cooling
    or
    -H100i corsair liquid cooling

Once again, any different suggestions than the ones listed are welcome!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I see that you forgot one of the most important things.... your Case !!!

3. bainezor

bainezor Geek Trainee

Umm, well he's keeping the same case as he has already, I don't know what it is exactly, but he says it is pretty big.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I'd go for AMD R9. Both Sony and Microsoft consoles have AMD GPU and Mantle is nice bonus. As for temps, using better cooling than reference design will lower temps.

Samsung EVO is TLC crap. Because money is not an issue, buy Samsung Pro instead.

Any 7200 RPM 3,5 inch hard drive will do. From Western Digital or Seagate. Forget "7200 RPM max" drives though (Intellipower and such).

Good quality 650W PSU (80+ gold) will be enough.

Corsair Vengeance pro has very tall heatsinks. Ripjaws has much smaller. Tall heatsinks make installing CPU cooler difficult.

I cannot see any sense in liquid cooling unless overclocking heavily. Good air coolers has match for poor watercoolers and have much less risks.