HElp plz

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by painy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. painy

painy Geek Trainee

i need help . about a year ago while i was playin on pc it sudddenly shutdown totally. we ignored this problem 4 a while as it got more and more freqent. It crashed once and we were un able 2 get it running again ever! We were told da our graphic card fan had been clogged up with dust and had over heated , and took down da motherboard aswell. we ad 2 replace da graphic card n motherboard . WE now have a AMD ATHLON 64 bit +3500 processor.

lately da problem has started again . suddenly shutting down as if i pressed da on/ off button while playin Bf2. i want 2 fix this problem b4 it is 2 late . PLZ HELP ;)

2. Addis

Addis The King

This sounds like a power supply problem, as I've had a similar problem myself a while ago.

It may be that your PSU is dying, so a new 400/450W one from a good brand like Thermaltake, Antec, Sparkle or PC Power and Cooling should do.

3. painy

painy Geek Trainee

last time we had this problem we put in a new 400 w power supply bout 6 months ago. so i don't think it could b dat .

could it b something 2 do wid memory . WE only have 512 DDR RAM . could that b the problem? it usually crashes when im playin bf2 ( a very demanding game !)

4. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

can you post your full spec.... including the PSUs brand and model.

5. painy

painy Geek Trainee

AMD ATHLON +3500 processor (new)
    2 x 256 DDR RAM
    120 gigabyte hardrive
    400W jean.... Power supply ( new)
    Radeon PCI graphic card x550 i think (new)

i got the new items last time i had this problem .The motherboard (amd athlon +2600) and graphic card (geforce fx 5600) were no good last time!
    graphic card overheated and apparently took the motherboard too!

6. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

yeh wat are your specs, especially ur psu. it doesnt really matter if u replaced the psu with even a 500watt or 600watt psu, if it was a crap brand then it wudnt matter how high the wattage was. it doesnt really matter how much ram u have becoz it shudnt restart if u have less ram, its just slower and sluggish but ur pagefile cud be disabled but we can discuss that at a later stage. for now we need ur specs

7. painy

painy Geek Trainee

There the specs

8. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Is that Jeantech??

9. painy

painy Geek Trainee

Yh dats da 1 JEANTECH 400W. !!!;)

is dat anygood????

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

No. Also, I would appreciate readable spelling. Anyhow, It would sound like a PSU issue or an overheat. If it is the GPU overheating then the entire PC will not crash, just the video card (at least in my experience). I would get Motherboard Monitor ( http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ ) to check the CPU temperatures before i got a new PSU. It will also tell you what your voltages are which will help you see if it is the PSU. If you look at the CPU core voltage and it slowly drops while you play until the computer crashes then the PSU is overloaded. If the CPU temperatures and voltages are fine then it might be the video card. In that case get RivaTuner ( RivaTuner 2.0 RC 16 ) and use it to check the GPU temperatures.

11. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Yea i rekon it could be the PSU, i had a Jeantech 300W and 500W, and they were not good enough.

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yeea, but I would recommend he check some other possibilities before blowing $60+ on a PSU.

13. Willz

Tbh, i aint trying to MAKE him get a new psu, but the jeantech wants chucking, even if it aint the PSU, he should still get another one.

14. zeus

zeus out of date

Cheap PSUs aren't always the problem though. Out of the 3 PCs here (all with cheapo PSUs) only one has problems I expect is the PSU, though the hdd is hot as hell all the time.
    Its always the component people seem to point fingers at first and I dont agree most of the time.
    The comp with two harddrives, two rom drives, 5 led fans and 6 other fans, cold cathode etc etc doesnt have any problems at all, Ive used it like this for years.

I agree with matt, it could be a cpu overheating which it easy to test. Try your hdd temps too whilst your at it. Ive only had random reboots when ive overclocked my graphics card and try to play a game, so it could well be your graphics card. When ive had dodgy graphcs cards at stock frequencies though I tend to get atifacts in windows. PSU is of course another likely candidate. I personally like to keep the OS as fresh as possible too, reinstalling windows can get rid of pain in the arse nags too.

15. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

jus becoz any problems havent been experienced with a bad psu it doesnt mean that they never will be. if the psu goes, it can go like that and u wont be able to do a single thing, a cheap psu can just blow at an unexpected time so its better to make sure u have a goodd 1 in the 1st place, eexpecially with a standard system like that.

Im not implying that its always the psu, jus saying that if it is a psu that is not a good spec'ed or quality one, then that shud be the suspect or at least shud be taken in consideration as willz sed, it still shud be changed

16. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive had em go alright. A dell one and an emachines one. The both literally went with a loud bang. I thought my mate clapped his hands th efirst time it happened.

17. Willz

Infact, i think i know now what made my DFI Infinity 865PE board go faulty, That damnd Jeantech 300W or 500W power supply!, first time i turned the rig on with my old mobo, it went on and off straight away, i was using a 300W jeantech, then every now and again, once every week or maybe every 3 days, the comp shut off in games, then started doing it even more, and in end, i couldent play games!, also, my system was only celeron d 2.8ghz, dfi mobo, fx 5200 256mb pci, 2 hdd's, 2 dvd drives and lots of fans.

18. painy

painy Geek Trainee

it sounds like jeantech is da problem ??? So i need 2 get a decent psu? with 450W maybe? and a good make.

as i learnt OVERCLOCKING improves your cpu but increases its temperature. So.... is there a way i could underclock my cpu thus lowering its temperature???

ps. mother board is GIGABYTE GA-K8N-SLI (n Force4)

19. Willz

dont clock your cpu lower than the stock, i dont think you can anyway, just reset your bios to defaults, that will put the clock speed backt o stock.

20. painy

painy Geek Trainee

how do you reset the BIOS settings???