help with PICe 2.0 card

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by nubishdubish, Jan 5, 2010.

1. nubishdubish

nubishdubish Geek Trainee

hi i am new here and i am getting ready to install a PCIe 2.0 (nvidia GGTX 275), i already have one 6-pin connector for the power, and my motherboard as a molex PCIe plug, but my pc is 3 years old and is only PCIe 1.0, will this still work?

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi yes it will still work but your PCI-Express x16 controller is 1.0 not 2.0 so it will run at a lower bus frequency of 2GB/S (x8 mode) instead of 4GB/s (x16 mode) so your motherboard is limiting the cards performance.

3. nubishdubish

nubishdubish Geek Trainee

well i dont know what is wrong i swapped out an older 8800 GTS for a brand-new 275 GTX, screen freezing but i can still hear the application running, windows functions normally so i dont think it is my cpu, replaced the PSU to a 650 Earthwatts, only thing i can think of is:

1: is it my RAM?
    2: motherboard?
    3: HDD?
    4: insert solution here

now i think i may have to replace the system, i do appreciate learning about computers but i just dont know where to find the best information, and do not feel comfortable yet with testing/ diagnosing pc's. any ideas or help is welcome and i thank you in advance if you do. (just noticed my descriptor for this forum, heh i guess i will stay for a while.)

but maybe you could help me with this: will a ThermalTake Element V case fit a GTX 275 wihtout modification(which are very long, even for a full tower)?

if not what case can i get that will compare to the thermaltake's ventilation?