Hooking up Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by xxxballa210, Feb 7, 2009.

1. xxxballa210

xxxballa210 Geek Trainee

My laptop has one hdmi output and one vga output. I would like to hook up dual monitors as well as my tv to watch movies (so three screens in all). What would be the best way to do this? Do I have to buy some kind of usb video adapter (if so what kind). Since my laptop has no dvi output that leaves me with just one hmdi output and I need to connect three monitors (all have hdmi). If I were to get some kind of splitter like this one, would I be able to extend my desktop or would it just show the same screen on both monitors.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Hi xxxballa210

You need to VGA to HDMI converter (will be costly I think, plus needs power).

This will allow you to have two monitors connected (VGA and HDMI) and f your graphics card allows, you can stretch your desktop across two screens.

If you want to connect three monitors, the one of the outputs needs a switch adaptor, like the product you have mentioned above. You will get the same output on both of the screens but only one at at time.

E.g.

HDMI out -> Connects to
    -> Switch connects to (you tell it which monitor you want the output to go)
    -> Monitor 1
    -> Monitor 2

3. little dave

little dave Geek Trainee

If you haven't tried using 2 or 3 if I could 4 monitors you don't know what your missing.

4. strad

strad Geek Trainee

I don't believe the above Y cable will work for HDMI because HDMI uses HDCP so needs HDCP keys. SPlitting the HDMI with a cable will not work. I tried.

You need to use a HDMI distribution amp splitter. These have HDCP keys embedded.