how can i access bios using spare monitor as primary display devise

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by blueriver, Jun 5, 2013.

1. blueriver

blueriver Geek Trainee

I have a laptop(operating system linux) with a broken screen and i got a spare monitor.I would like to convert the same to a desktop pc and install windows xp on it. Currently i am using linux os by connecting laptop with my spare monitor using display cable.

2. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Does the laptop have a blue or different colored "Fn" key on it? If so, you can press and hold that and look for a key that has a laptop over a 'box' and press that; that key would tell the laptop to swap video outputs. You would press those two keys when turning the computer on(if you can't see what is happening when the laptop first turns on, then it's okay to guess when to push them, just try it several times). The screen key can generally be found on the Function keys(F1 - F12) or sometimes on the number keys. The "Fn" key is generally found on the lower left or sometimes the upper right, depending on how old your laptop is. Again, you would do this with the monitor still plugged in, otherwise it would do nothing for you. I hope this helps!

-Brian Entei