How can I know my VGA Card's Ram

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Rafeez, May 6, 2009.

1. Rafeez

Rafeez Geek Trainee

Hello friends
    If I want to know my VGA card's RAM, What can I do? Please any one can help me??? :dry:

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Click Start, then go to Run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Once the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool" windows pops up, click on the "Display" tab at the top. Now if you look further down the list you'll see "Approx. Total Memory: xxMB.

There you go!

Now, keep in mind that if your VGA is using GDDR3 or GDDR2, you'll have to divide that number.
    For example, in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool it shows that i have 2673MB of memory. My card is using GDDR3 so i divide 2673 by 3 and i get 891MB.
    If you don't know what kind of memory your VGA is using, tell me the name of your card and i'll find out for you.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

out of curiosity i have 2289MB on "display 1" tab and "display 2" tab, making a total of 4gb on the gpu, right? so do I divide that by 3 (1.3gb) for my gpu?

im using a 9800gx2

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Hm, no i don't think it has any connection with monitor 1 or 2. From what i've read about your card, you have 1GB of GDDR3 of memory. So what you should do is multiply 1GBX3 and have 3000GB (yikes!) of memory. Where in the display settings does it show you have 2289MB?

5. Rafeez

Rafeez Geek Trainee

Thanks a lot for you, scorps65. it worked with me. I found it. Thank you.:)

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

my card is a 9800gx2, windows see's it as 2 graphic cards.

here is the info you wanted... what it mean?

cheers!

Attached Files:

7. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Anytime.

Hm, i see what you mean. That's strange because if you divide 2289 by 3 you get 763. And if you multiply 2289by 2 you get 4578 which is a bit more than 4GB. And if you divide 4578 by 3 you get 1526 which is way more than the advertised 1GB.

Try this: Go into your "Advanced settings" from the display settings and tell me what your "Dedicated Video Memory" is. Like so:
    [​IMG]

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

1gb. (512x2) there we goes

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
  9. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

My GPU runs a dedicated video memory size of 896MB. When multiplied by 3 i get 2687MB, which is the "total available graphics memory".

Reading more on your card i found out your VGA runs a dual GPU, each having a dedicated video memory size of 512MB. When combined you get 1GB. But if you were to multiply your dedicated video memory size of 512MB by 3 you would get a total available graphics memory of 1536MB which isn't the 2303MB listed in your settings!
    And multiplying 1GB by 3 certainly doesn't give you 2303MB.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank