How Do I Find Out What Program Can Correctly Open This File?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by wernerism, Sep 16, 2015.

1. wernerism

wernerism Geek Trainee

I have a ppt file up on SharePoint. This file was edited with MS Powerpoint 2003, saved on a CD, then from the CD uploaded onto SharePoint. My users are trying to open this file in Power Point 2007 and it will not open.

The error I receive is simple: PowerPoint can't open this file : "location"

If I click on Show Help, this is what i get:

The selected file does not appear to be a valid Microsoft Office PowerPoint file. It might be another kind of Microsoft Office System file or a file created by using a different program.

Try double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer to see if another program will open it. If PowerPoint opens again when you double-click the file in Windows Explorer, it is possible that the file is not a PowerPoint file but that its extension was renamed to be that of a registered PowerPoint file type (such as .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .ppsx, .pptx, .pot, or .potx) but the file is not a PowerPoint file.

To determine which program can open the file, try any of the following:

Contact the original author (if known) to find out which program was used to create this file. Then rename the file with the correct extension so that it can be opened by that program.

Try opening the file in other programs.

If you, or someone you know, are very knowledgeable about software, examine the file header in a text editor to determine which program can read the file.

Another possibility is that the file was damaged during transfer from another computer. If the file was transmitted over a modem, try re-transmitting the file.

Lastly, the file might have become corrupted. If you have a backup copy of the file, use it. It is not currently possible to reverse file corruption.

Now, I have tried to look at the headers, but I am not really sure what all I am looking for.

My questions is:

How do I find out if this file is really corrupt ( there are several ppt files that will not open, all from the same location)

How do I find out what program should open this file? ( I'm wondering if this was renamed to a ppt)

Thanks guys

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Copy file from CD to HDD and try top open it. If it works, then problem is Sharepoint. Cloud services are always unreliable.

3. abraders

abraders Geek Trainee

To try to insert slides into a blank presentation, follow these steps or make use of following resources where you can find different solutions for damaged powerpoint documents

https://onlinefilerepair.com/en/powerpoint-repair-online.html PowerPoint repair online
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rpoint-upon-opening?forum=officeitproprevious
    http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/itanswers/how-to-open-powerpoint-file/

1. On the File menu, click New, and then click Blank Presentation in the New Presentation task pane.

This creates a blank Title slide. You can delete this slide later after you re-create your presentation.
    2. On the Insert menu, click Slides from files, and then click the Find Presentation tab.
    3. Click Browse.

Select the damaged presentation, and then click Open.
    4. Click Insert All.

If this operation is successful, all the slides from the damaged presentation, except the slide master, are inserted in the new presentation.
    5. Save the presentation.

If your presentation does not look the way that you expect after you try these steps, try to apply the damaged presentation as a template. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Make a back up copy of your presentation.
      2. On the Format menu, click Slide Design.
      3. On the Slide Design pane, click Browse.
      4. Select the damaged presentation, and then click Apply.
    The slide master of the damaged presentation replaces the new slide master.