How long do you think the patch will hold?

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Seriously, opinions? The printed money is a patch, its holding for moment, but it will wear away at some point. I am just looking for opinions, but how much worse do you think it will get?

I didn't really even think about it until my friend said something tonight, but he is right. The printed money is working right now, its keeping things where they are, i mean, its pushed us farther into debt, but we face grave circumstances unless we see massive change. We haven't seen all of the job losses yet.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

We need a new, better, stronger version of Roosevelt-era reform. Unfortunately, Obama has let the same assholes who made the mess in the first place try to fix it. We only have enough capital to give this one shot, and it looks like they're going to completely blow it. On the other hand, if one's goal is class war rather than the revival of the economy, things are going swimmingly.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Hopefully they won't sell their gold from Fort Knox in massive amounts, otherwise the value of gold is also going to drop...

4. Anti-Trend

That shouldn't be much of a problem, since there really isn't much gold in Fort Knox anymore. :O

5. Dartht33bagger

Dartht33bagger Geek Trainee

I saw a video on youtube a few days ago that was talking about a shipment of a new currency to China back in July 2007.

What the guy was saying is that the american government plans on the dollar failing as a currency, so they made a new one. It's called the amero and it's suppose to replace the dollar, canadian dollar, and the mexican peso. They made 800 billion ameros and sent them to china back in July 2007. They figured the dollar would die out around Feb. 2009 so they made this. He held up one of the coins from the shipment too.

Here is the video:

6. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

I'm not a fountain of optimism, but I have a bit more hope than that heh. I haven't been keeping up with the economic-fixing attempts that much, though. So what do you mean exactly when you say the same assholes will be fixing it? I don't disbelieve you, just not sure which assholes you have in mind precisely, lol.

As an example, regarding AIG, they have the CEO and some other executives basically volunteering for the job. The CEO and I think a few others are working for the pay of $1 a year. (But also with some bonuses, I think) The CEO came out of retirement because the administration asked for his help in this. So guys like that are not exactly the same people as those who deserve the blame, right? If they're doing that, that seems like an honest effort to fix things, I think. It seems as good of a balance as you'll get of government bailing out the "too-big-to-fail" company(ies) and otherwise stepping in where appropriate, without having the government assuming the job of CEO itself (which I'm sure they would botch splendidly).

As far as new regulations/reform to prevent future shit like this, I believe they're still working on such a thing for the banking sector?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I don't know how well things bode when we have a Treasury Secretary who "forgot" to pay taxes. Y'know, if Bush did something like that, or flew across the country to be the Tonight Show as a sitting President, he'd be lambasted (and rightly so).

I'm also not so keen on this "too big to fail" bunk. We have the government determining what industries live, and by extension, die. I mean, if a company keeps screwing up, doesn't it deserve to fail? Look at how great Amtrack has done since the government intervened. Yeah, I'm really confident in their ability to run the auto and banking industries.
    But, hey, who am I to question handing this stuff over to people who forget to pay taxes and/or screwed it up in the first place? :rolleyes:

8. Anti-Trend

Meh, taxes are for peasants like you and me, B! Not for our betters. :dry:

On that note, you should check out Prof. Noam Chomsky on Democracy Now! this morning:
    Democracy Now! | Noam Chomsky on the Global Economic Crisis, Healthcare, US Foreign Policy and Resistance to American Empire

9. Anti-Trend

This is a very good overview of the whole situation by Pepe Escobar:

The Real News Network - Welcome to the new “New World Order”

If you still have questions after that, ask away! :)

EDIT: See also part II:
    http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=3571

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

I highly doubt many officials pay taxes, why would they. The whole income tax thing drives me insane, the more i learn of that whole situation the more frustrating it gets. I dunno, as far as America goes, it just seems all is lost, rampant consumerism, the industrial war complex, greed, mass propaganda, extreme lack of education, no healthcare, of which there doesn't seem to be anything towards helping any of that. To me it just seems like a generational fault, the baby boomers are just crazy. The patch is holding for the moment, but as soon as it stop circulating and the extreme debt is realized, we will have a whole new set of problems on our hands.

I love Amtrack....

AT, i saw those reports, Pepe Escobar is pretty sweet, but i will also recommend they be watched.