How to chose a power supply.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Jay123, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jay123

Jay123 Geek Trainee

Hey i am new to computer hardware and what little i know about the subject i know even less about electronics. i havent a clue about watts and amps ect..

I would like to know how to choose a PS for my system, how do i know if its powerfull enough, how do i know if its overkill, anything else i might need to know?????

Thanks for looking... jay

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

For starters, you might want to check out this neat site. All you do is input your systems specs and it will give you a good estimate of what you need.
    As you become adept with how computer systems work, picking out the right power supply will become intuitive.

3. Dustin75

Dustin75 Geek Trainee

There's a great online tool for choosing the right PSU for your system, where you answer a few questions about your rig(no. of GPUs, HDDs, CPU overclocked or not, type of CPU etc) and it tells you how powerful PSU you need. It's available at Corsair website here. By the way, they make excellent PSUs, I've got one myself and couldn't be happier!
    As I'm powering 2xGTX480 SLI and i7 930 [email protected], I went for modular 1000W and it does its job!

4. softechnet

softechnet Geek