How to install new themes with vista

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Sn1P3R, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Sn1P3R

Sn1P3R Geek Trainee

Hi,

i am using windows vista and i have tried to download and install some new themes and failed.

I got the uxtheme.dll patch, put the themes i downloaded in the windows/resources/themes folder, but when i go to personalize/themes they are not there can somebody help me please, is there any other way to install custom themes without using software such as windowblinds?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Did you open the .msstyles file of each theme to install it? You must put the files in the themes folder, and then open them one by one to install 'em.

3. Sn1P3R

Sn1P3R Geek Trainee

i didnt open the files i just moved them to themes folder then went to personalize/themes and nothing comes up only the default themes. i will try to open each file now thanks

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You might want to try WindowBlinds...

5. rockaway

rockaway Guest

:)

1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard

for a slip of paper).
    2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
    3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
    4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
    6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
    7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
    9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
    10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
    11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
    12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
    13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)

Step 1: If you find the above too intimidating, download VistaGlazz and just run it, it automates the whole patching process so you don’t have to worry about it! It is basically like Neowin uxtheme patcher we used to have for Windows XP.

Step 2: Download a Windows Vista Visual Style from our free Windows Vista Themes gallery, and copy the theme to Windows/Resources/Themes folder.

Step 3: Right click on desktop and click on Personalize. From the page that pops up, click on Theme and choose your newly installed theme!