How To Select Ram

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by rubankumar, Nov 27, 2016.

1. rubankumar

rubankumar Geek Trainee

I want to assemble a pc desktop.I want to know how ram should me selected?Selection of ram depends on what specs? Do I need to compare ram specs to cpu specs or motherboard specs?
    How to select motherboard?
    I think socket type of processor and m board should match.Are there any other specs to be considered?

2. ineuw

ineuw Geek Trainee

As a general computer user, I can only offer some insights into general computer use. I've been down this road recently a couple of months ago, and one needs to consider numerous other issues before you consider the memory speed, which should be the last consideration. But, for a quick reply, apart from serious gaming, DDR3 1600mhz is the middle of the road and it's fast enough, and more than 8GB is a waste of money.

What is the main purpose of the desktop? Gaming, browsing? Work/Home productivity? Which OS are you planning to install? These issues should determine your hardware choices. Once you decided what you want the computer for (and answer the questions to yourself as realistically as possible), then you should consider the hardware.

The MB, the CPU, the video, and the storage media is what you should decide on first, (the faster the better), if you are concerned about speed, and only then concern yourself with the memory speed to match the rest.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I second the motion. If your surfing the web, then a quad-core i7 is going to be overkill. Purpose and budget are the first things, then you can assess what what you need from there.