How to speed up my computer?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by franksthomas77, Jul 7, 2009.

1. franksthomas77

franksthomas77 Geek Trainee

From last few days my desktop PC is working very slowly. What I have to do to speed up my PC? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
    Ram: 2GB
    HD: 350 GB
    Mother Board: Giga Byte

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

do a virus scan and defrag.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

After you've done a virus scan, go to Start > Run and enter %temp%. It should now open a folder in Windows Explorer. Delete all contents of that folder. If you see an error message, just ignore it. Then empty the Recycle Bin and perform a Disk Defragmentation.

Windows usually leaves the temporary files of your programs in the Temp folder, and that could slow your system down eventually. Deleting the contents often is a good way to prevent this from happening.

Good luck :)

[ot]Moved to Windows OS section[/ot]

4. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

If its slow to turn on, do this

Start - Run - Msconfig - Start up

Then uncheck all the un needed ones, like Itunes, AIM, Skype etc.
    Any program you won't need until you open it.

Then go to services, Hide all MS services and do the same thing.

5. franksthomas77

I am using Photo Shop, Page maker, Coral, Office2007, Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, Acrobat reader 8, Mozilla Firfox 3.0 and Internet Explorer 8 etc... in my PC. I am also using Notron360 Antivirus and Outlook Express for email received and sent. Actually when I am going to open more than 3 or 4 application including internet explorer machine going to work slowly when I am using Tab to move other application.

6. franksthomas77

I am thankful to you for your great support. As you said in your post I am go through it. I am back if I have any other issue. I hope you don't mine.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

How many icons do you have in your tray by the clock ?

8. franksthomas77

As I go through your advice I found that disabling startup items in msconfig it’s not a recommended permanent fix as it can cause problems for the disabled software. It’s usually only done when testing (although some items are ok to disable this way). Is there any other way to fix it permanently?

9. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

As long as you don't disable MS services etc, there is nothing wrong with it.

All it does is make it so that when you turn on your computer, programs like Skype and things like that don't start with it therefore slowing down the start up time.

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Are you running ANY KIND of an Optimizer..Try Tuneup 2009 or Ashampoo Optimizer or ACE ... Do a google search for Optimizing Xp or Vista... Check out Black Vipers website.

11. franksthomas77

Please give any more suggestions as I am really looking for it.

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

REMOVE NORTON, it is the WORST AV for sucking up resources.. install something lite, like Avira or AVG.. Have you Defragged ?

13. franksthomas77

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you suggest me the name of malware and spyware removal product? Did I use Avira or AVG to remove malware and spyware?

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Try Super Antispyware free , and ThreatFire.. and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

15. spike2me

spike2me Geek Trainee

also download CCleaner delete temp files (this is safer then deleting eveyryhing in the temp directory. )

16. franksthomas77

As per your suggestion on registry fix I have buy best registry software for my slow computer.

Thanks,
    Thomas

17. moor

moor Geek Trainee

I would add a couple of things : First I would change the number of cores to two under the boot advanced option (msconfig), since Windows does not automatically do it for you. Second and most importantly I use Diskeeper a fully automatic file and disk defragmenter with a zero overhead that has a technology called IFAAST that puts my frequently used files on the fastest area of the disk. It keeps my system at an optimum performance.

18. Techtiger4

Techtiger4 Geek Trainee