How Voltages Effect Components

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ProcalX, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

How do the voltages of a PSU effect the individual components in a computer?

A Generic 600Watt Powersupply will not provide enough power for a computer with:
    AMD 2500+ Barton
    Gigabyte 7N400PRO2
    1GB Dual Channel DDR PC3200
    2 x 160GB Sata
    60GB IDE 7200rpm
    X800PRO 256mb
    TV Card
    SoundBlaster
    DVD-RW
    DVD-ROM
    Floppy
    3 x 120mm Case Fans / Asus Star Ice HSF

This is due to the Amps the Powersupply provides, not the overall wattage.
    My 600W Generic PSU does not provide enough Voltage to the +5 and -12V
    which subsequently has effected my processor, as on idle it runs at 55C.

My +5 runs at around +3.2 and the -12 at 0.98V, it would be interesting to know what the +3.3 / +12 and -5V, effect components in general or particular parts..

(thinks this post could be refined into a good sticky and general guide line for psu's) :good:

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

How did you come up with this theory ?

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

well first off, after incredible over heating problems, BigB suggested my voltages could be the cause, i kept everything the same except i used an identical processor (a new one - spare) to see if it was the cpu, no difference...

i then removed pretty much as many components as possible, as soon as my voltages started going back to what they should be.. my pc was more stable, and the heat kept dropping with the more stuff i was taking out.. or disconnecting..

i then tested my system with a new good psu at work, a Antec 550W, the voltages were that of what is required, if not more.. with the same system (exactly the same components nothing different) i was getting around 34C idle (hot room) case temp was about 32C..

subsequently i have done enough tests to lead myself in thinking that voltages can effect heat discipitation or just cause general overheating, (mainly because of what BigB suggest).

My post was not meant to be factual, merely asking and suggesting.

+ at work i tend to get quite bored and come up with random things.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

That's ok, I just wanted to know what made you conclude that. Plus, with the explanation, it's a lot more credible.