HP PSC 1315v All in One Printer Problem - Cannot re-install the driver

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by asianchefs, Oct 27, 2010.

1. asianchefs

asianchefs Geek Trainee

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

M problem:
    I had accidentally deleted the printer icon from "Printer and Faxes" by right clicking it and selecting "Delete."
    I only did this because the printer had a print job that wouldn't go away after many attempts.
    But when I try re-installing it by downloading the correct driver for it, it would only load up initially with the status bar indicating the unpackaging of the installation, but after it reaches 100%, it wouldn't continue onward.
    I kept launching the installation almost 7 times now, but the same result happens.

Solutions I've tried
    I have contemplated on doing a system restore, but I had not created a starting point.
    I have downloaded their standard driver installation instead of the full package installation, but the same problem arises.
    I have went into "Printer and Faxes," and selected "Add Printer," but it doesn't have HP PSC 1315v All in One. I have tried updating the list, but it returns and error message.

My computing environment:
    Windows XP, HP PSC 1315v All in One.

Thanks in advance!

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

First, make sure you've completely removed the drivers. Go into Device Manager and search for your HP printer there under "Imaging Devices". Go into Control Panel and click on Add/Remove to remove ANY and ALL HP devices. Next, use something like CCleaner to clear out your registry and junk files. You can also use Windows Disk Cleanup. Also in CCleaner, under Tools, under Startup, uncheck all HP items. Now, unplug your printer and restart. When Windows has completely booted up, run the HP driver setup and wait for it to ask you to turn on the device. This should remedy the problem.

3. asianchefs

asianchefs Geek Trainee

Thanks for your help!

I have tried everything to delete/uninstall the remaining HP softwares/files, restart, and to re-install again.

But I think my approach is not the one that is needed to solve this problem.

My specific problem is that I could open any HP installation files except for the one that I need (for my HP psc 1315v all in one).

My system does not "like" to open the installation file of my printer.
    When I double click, or try to extract and manually install, it shows the sand clock for about a second, and then disappears and does nothing.

All the other HP printer installation drivers I have downloaded opens just fine, meaning a window pops up and you could click Next to begin the installation.

My Bit Defender AntiVirus could have something to do with the file not opening, but I have uninstalled Bit Defender, restarted, and have tried going on that route as well, but the same result.

I have even tried Diagnostic Startup via msconfig, or even tried to install during Safe Mode.

I have probably uninstalled/installed/msconfig/safe mode/etc probably 50 times already, and the problem never changes.

I tested my printer out on my friend's computer, and it installs and works just fine.

It is a software problem that is very tough to crack.

I can't system restore, as I haven no saved points.

I am pretty sure I could resolve this by wiping my whole drive and reinstalling the OS, but it would be such a pain to reinstall all the drivers, programs, program settings, etc back.

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Ok, i think its time to call out the big guns: Universal Extractor
    Universal Extractor is a program designed to decompress and extract files from any type of archive or installer, such as ZIP or RAR files, self-extracting EXE files, application installers, etc...

I had a similar problem with a setup. This 5.3MB piece of wonder did the trick.

5. asianchefs

asianchefs Geek Trainee

Oh my god!
    I had been wondering for quite a while if such program existed.
    I only dreamed of it while in sleep.
    I will give it a try.

Thanks scorps65!

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Anytime buddy ;)

7. asianchefs

asianchefs Geek Trainee

Hey scorps!

Thanks again for the file.
    Before using this file, I was already able to extract the files from the automatic installer.
    The Setup installation file within this extracted folder is also behaving the same:
    it pretends that it is loading, but doesn't actually bring up any window.

I tried using your program to extract the Setup installation file as well,
    but it extracts weird looking files that are not program installation files,
    but are of unknown file origin, such as DATA file, RDATA file, etc.
    When you double click these files, it asks for me to select the program to run it with.

I guess it didn't solve the problem, but thanks anyways!

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Ahh i see. Those files won't help with anything. Sorry man i'm all out of options.
    At times, Windows can be a big mystery. One thing will work one day and malfunction the next. Reinstalling the O/S is always a last option.

9. asianchefs

asianchefs Geek Trainee

Thanks scorps!
    I think I will just buy a new printer/scanner.