Html 911!!!

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by winslow33, Oct 23, 2008.

1. winslow33

winslow33 Geek Trainee

Hello again.

Designing web pages is normaly not my thing, I ussualy make apps. with QBASIC. But, I'm making a website for a friend who knows less about computers than me and have some dumb questions:

How can I make the entire page load without XP blocking some of my scripts? I need background music to come on when the page loads, but the computer blocks it until I hit the yellow bar at the top of the screen.

How do I make links to another site?:O Like I said, I rarely use HTML or Java.

How can I add pictures?

Thanks.!!

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Maybe the best thing to do would be hooking up with a shake & bake webhost that has a choice of content management systems. That way you don't actually have to write all the code by hand, you just work out roughly how you want it to look and feel, and the user (e.g. your friend) can add and remove content using a simple web control panel and WYSIWYG editor.

Good examples of CMS systems are Joomla, Mambo, WordPress, and Drupal. I've worked with all of them, and can vouch for the relative quality of each.

Try a few of the aforementioned CMS's out, figure out which is the best fit. Afterwords, you'll be in a good position to price shop for a suitable host. For a simple LAMP host, you should be looking at under $10/mo.

If after all that you still decide you want to write it all by hand (and in turn maintain it by hand), you should probably look into a WYSIWYG editor like Kompozer... that or buy yourself some books on HTML (and XHTML, PHP, and PERL -- it's all web 2.0 these days, yeah?).

-AT

3. winslow33

winslow33 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking about making it a freewebs.com site, that way it'll be free. Plus, any idiot can publish a page with relative ease. I might have to write a few scripts, but for the most part it should be easy.