HWF irc channel

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by RHochstenbach, Jun 6, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Maybe create an IRC channel exclusively for HWF members to allow real-time chatting. It might be an idea.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

in ideal world, yeah, but different HWF members are better with some stuff than other members e.g. i 'm better with IDE HDD cos i've only used IDE[ot]except a bit of SCSI, once a long time ago[/ot]so i wouldn't say i was the best person to help someone with SATA or NAS

BTW: i mean: different HWF members also log on at different times, so, for HWF to setup an IRC each problem that someone had would be best directed to a particular HWF member

Edit: sorry to burst your bubble

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

In the early years we had a IRC channel, I think syngod setup, can't remember. Its a good idea but in most cases people just don't bother to use chat.

4. RHochstenbach

Yeah that's true. There also is a huge difference in the time zones between Europe and the US.
    [ot]I've got silly ideas when I'm half asleep :p[/ot]

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

But still there are lots of people that would love to use that thing... N if someone like this then they will come nd use this technique again n again. I mean who doesnt wants to c the answers so fast...

I dont know how this chat thing gonna work but if its open then i guess everyone would see that and can reply to that particular chating msg respectively....

If you check the HWF members, there are lots of members from US and lots from UK , also both the countries got good minded Geeks those who solves the issues.. so UK can help UK AND US CAN HELP US....

6. RHochstenbach

That's true, but mind that there is a time difference of 5-7 hours between both countries.

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

Yeah, I had played with the idea before but think in 2 months only had 7 users visit according to the bot logs. If someone does want to try to get one running again I'm willing to help out with providing a bot or two for the channel.

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I am not saying that it will gonna be popular this time or so but did u notice how many members were on HWF at that time and now??

9. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

It's a good idea, could even be modified to always have someone online at least to act as a kinda 24 hour helpline for computer problems.

But you need to take into account that there are some people who just plain don't like Irc, I can barely stand most chat programs, Xfire and Skype being the only ones I use.

There is also the issue that not everyone here is from the UK or US, there are people from all over the world here, so those time differences will have to be taken into consideration.

But if the idea was picked up, I'd log in and hang around.