I am f****

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Willz, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Ok, well just got my results for college, i got a pass, asshole exameners marked me down on 2 asignments so that made me just get a pass, i am really annoyed and scared as to whats going to be happening with my future, i cant do another course at the college i applied at which was selby college, the only course i would of had a chance at would be ICT Intermediate at selby college, cant do that, allready done it, got a pass :'(, only option is work based learning, but thats no good due to the fact that there doesent appear to be any work based learning for hardware and building computers, i have emailed my tutor at york college to see if i can get into another course there, it doesent look like it, so i am only thinking whats going to happen with my future now, all i can see is blackness, gutters, rain and a back ally, no point getting a crappy job in co op or somthing, thats not going to help me through life, i suppose its mostly my fault, i should of tryed harder in school but when surrounded by lots of people who hate you, its kinda hard. I dunno what to do, any advice? anyone ever been in the situation before?

2. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

where u from. selby aint that far from me

3. bmarchand

bmarchand Geek Trainee

Nope, you just gotta take school seriously. Find a way to complete it your life will be better for it.

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

i never took school seriously. its only now when im approaching 30 that i wish i had done more at school.

Ive had 22 jobs so far in 12yrs. The jobs im qualified to do are crap so i tend to get bored quite quickly and then leave.

well no point crying over spilt milk now. ive just gotta crack on with life

5. bmarchand

bmarchand Geek Trainee

I agree - it's not a failure unless you dont learn from it.

6. Willz

Yea i am from selby, i learnt alot from school and college, but its still failure as i did not get the grade i needed, what am i supposed to do now? go on living life with a crap job?

I cant live with a crap job, if i aimed for that then i will never be able to get anything i want, i will always be relying on crap, council house in a really rough area, crap things etc..

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Willz, what kind of job do you want to get?

8. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Well it's not the end of the world. my mate did really rubbish and decided to go do one of those modern apprenticeships as a sparky.

9 yrs later and he's on £17 an hour.

If only i had chosen that route!!!!

If u can re-do the year that u failed then do it. if not then do a foundation course in what u wanted to do at tech college and after a year u will be at the lvl you would of been if you had of got the grades.

9. Willz

There is no tech colleges near me, the colleges i have tried getting into are York College and Selby College, dont one whole year of ICT Intermediate at York College.

I dunno exatly what job i want to do, i am intrested in building pc's, the hardware side really, so a job were i am building pc's for people and fixing pc's.

10. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

well why don't u write a speculative letter to some of the pc builders saying yr interested in a career in hardware support and was wanting to know how u can get into the industry. On the hardware side of things its what u know not how many qualifications u have attained. Someone might actually do a modern apprenticeship in it.

Nearest tech coll is York college and its only up the A19.

Im gonna be starting an evening course in IT systems support in september.

See you could always do a crap job in the day to get some money in and learn in the evening.

11. Willz

Hmmm a speculative letter to who exatly?

You doing a course at York College? if so, what teacher you getting?

12. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

well there are many pc building companies out there. E.g Aria Pc, they are based in Manchester.

write em a letter and say you want to get into the industry and would like to know more information on how you would go about it.

I got my first job exaclty the same way. i wrote a letter asking if the particular company had any jobs going and Hey presto i got a job.

haven't a scooby doo who my lecturer is yet

13. Willz

Ok, i might write to a company, can i use E-Mail?

If you Tutor is Roy goolie or Mel Fish, ask them, do you remember Will Thompson :p and then tell me what they say, oh they might be a teacher called Bob too.

14. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

city & guilds advanced diploma in systems support (with optional extension to comptia a+ is the course im doing. tis a one year course a couple of evenings a week.

You could email a letter to the companies your targeting, yeah.

Back in the day that wasn't an option for me.

15. Willz

Ah, what other companys is there that i could send a letter or E-Mail to?, manchester is too far away.

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

a few years ago i worked for a computer agency, basically i would get a phone call from Datacom (they were based in london) to go anywhere in nothern UK, all i was doing was:
    • installing AV software, or
    • moving PC's from one location to another, or
    • diagnostics of individual PC's

you will only get work if you have you own transport, they paid about £10 - £15 per hour, and that was 10 years ago,

worth a try
    Code:
    http://www.datacomrec.co.uk/mainframe.html
    if they ask how you heard about us, tell them from Dave Miller in Yorkshire

17. Willz

Man that sounds really good, AV software too, speakers and stuff right? kool i would be able to learn about speakers too. Too bad i cant drive :(

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it's worth investing in some driving lessons, or asking somebody if they would like to invest in your future, like parents, cos it was easy as :swear:, they actually paid me to mess with other people's stuff, and i didn't have a clue then, i just thought sod it i'll have a go, got a call to a printer malfunctioning, all i knew was "printer not working" it turned out it just needed paper

19. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

After watching your most of the posts, it seems that you wants to get everything but without sacrificing anything.... I dont think that its the way it works. Jobs are not going to set according to you but you have to set yourself according to jobs.... If its far then you have to cover the distance or rent a house nearby. If you dont know how to drive then you have to learn how to drive. Well most of the problems I think get away with driving, if you wants to learn only.....
    Also, according to me, I would never like to jump for a big company first to get the job. Its kind of trying your luck. First get some experience from small computer shops and meanwhile try in the bigger ones.

20. Willz

I would like to do work based learning, there aint many shops around here tho, especially comp shops, i only know of 2, and there smal comp shops, there smaller than my bedroom, hardly ever open too, probs not good pay too.

I think i may have to stay on at college coz i cant see me getting anywere withought going to college even more, my dad said, it should be your skills that companies assess you on, not grades, sounds preety logical, i mean grades mean nothing i think, so you revised for a test, oh woooop i passed ict, greate, you got the skill for this job, distinction in ICT say, then you do job, and you dont know anything or what to do etc.. .

This forum is better learning than college!