i feel so stupid asking this

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by cloud17, Jun 12, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

sorry if this question is very dumb but you know the antec 900 case it has 4 fans, well... i really dont think that many fans will go into my mobo so what are they powerd by? :doh: :doh:

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

they are most likely powered by the PSU and using a molex connector but that is not a bad thing as there will probaly be another molex connector provided by the fan

BTW: it looks like this
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    although the colour of the connector may vary[ot]don't feel stupid, everyone has to learn, i've being here @ HWF for over a year & i forget more than i remember[/ot]

3. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

thx a bunch so i will not have to upgrade my mobo :D will definatly be usin this forum again :chk:

4. Addis

Addis The King

The advantage of using your motherboard power connector is that you can get fan speed readings, but you usually only get 1 or 2 connectors plus a CPU connector.

5. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

yea i suppose but i think that the antec 900 fans have 3 speed options anyway.

6. Kastang

Kastang Geek Trainee

Its not really bad if your mobo doesnt have enough fan plugins.. Get the connectors and get a fan controller, you can get one for as cheap as 20 dollars. It will allow you to still have a quiet computer and be able to monitor and adjust your speed as you see fit.

7. henry222

henry222 Geek

Kastang

Spot-on advice...I've never bought a controller (I think they take up a 5.25" bay, unless built-in) -
    Do you set the temperature and the fan takes care? Or is it purely monitoring the processor temp (via some Mbd monitor routine?) ...and you have to set the fan speed. In other words - do I have to keep checking, or will it automaticaly speed up as necessary?

Fan technophobes:
    I bought a 12v 120mm Dia fan and it works ok, taking about 1/3rd the current they claim....but what's the third (yellow) wire for?
    The supply is red+, black- (or strictly 0v) and I powered it from a 12v battery, just to check the current consumption.
    ...It's a Nildec and searching their website has revealed these fans will operate over a minimum 2:1 voltage ratio (so a linear regulator should be OK for dropping fan-speed, well I was going to PWM)...and this third wire is a tachometer output - presumably to monitor that the fan is still going!
    ...By counting the pulses it would be possible to determine the fan-speed, although this is not important - only the sound/noise is really at issue....v. heat reduction of course.
    I've noticed some other fans with this third-wire, so maybe some field-testing is needed!
    I note that some new 600w PSU's have a fan over-run feature (when you power down with the mains still present!), the idea being that this reduces processor temperature (and other bits like HDD's) by giving them a further blast....doesn't say how long, but I guess 5mins would be a great help for increasing MTBF/reliability. Cars continue to cool the rad after stopping, so why not PC's?

8. kazgirl

kazgirl Geek Trainee

HIya,
    From waht I understand the 3rd yellow wire is there to be connected to the mobo fan sensor, normally it has the ususal 3 pin fan connector plug connected to it to plug it in to the mobo fan connector, though the yellow wire is the only one that connects to the mobo, with the power for the fan then being provided via a molex connector. and it works by counting the revolutions of the magnets used to drive the fan, at least this is my very limited and basic understanding of it.....I'm something of a novice and am on a pretty steep learning curve at the moment, so if anyone can give a more detailed explanation, this owuld really help.....

9. geek9pm

geek9pm Geek Trainee

It was a very good question. Having extra fans is a good idea. Heat damage is much worse than dust and dirt. You can clean out the dust, but you can not undo heat damage.