I hate operating systems

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i hate all of them. Like seriously, i was wwoo Linux finally, then i realized how much of a cruel mistress she is, like seriously. Its really pretty, and stable and all that jazz, but damn man, shit is really, and too complicated, seriously. Like some of the things i'm just like are you kidding me, this will never get anywhere more popular than it is rate now because everything is so damn complicated and difficult.

Why would all of my folders be under a folder, that doesn't make any sense to me, and why isn't the swap folder hidden, thats just confusing (sure it takes a whole 2 seconds to figure out but still) Ok then there is all the other crap, like the things you shouldn't have problems with in Linux, you do ITS LIKE SERIOUSLY guys man. Then the obvious, theres the all kinds of what not out there, but not really, so you finally find the app equivalent you want, but then you have to install it, which is way more trouble than it should be, it should be simple, i will say Windows does this well, download a the file, click the file, it installs.

But yes, there is Windows, which is a dirty whore made my hookers, so you know it works really well, everything is super easy to figure out and work, but then your all of this is so great wooo, and something dub happens. Oh yeah i'm going to open that program now, oh wait where did it go, why isn't it in my system tray anymore, oh what i'm already running it thats weird, oh well end process.... and windows freaks out, hangs for a couple seconds and then is super unstable and most likely crashes in an hour or so.

So woo, yeah go the people who's sole purpose is to make software that acts like its on crack, there all just sitting around in a room and there like ha wouldn't it be funny if this were to happen, and then they laugh and actually do it, but little do they know that causes the whole rest of the system to be a damned jerk ass.

Yeah, so i think i'm going to live in game menus and games, screw desktops and OS's there retarded, and while i'm at it screw you F@H, i try to use you, but you hate me, so what am i suppose to do, your a jerk. yeah so some one come on, i know your going to attack me because i put down Linux, so seriously give me a serious _____ i am drawing a blank rate now

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Like seriously, we'd get no-where without OS's.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Swansen, I am going to start billing you for every word that I read in your posts....

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

HAAH, not only was what mega said really funny, but man, i think i should hold myself back from writing stuff at all hours of the night, lol, after re-reading what i just wrote.

5. Addis

Addis The King

I don't even know where to start, your post was incoherent and you didn't explain anything. Why did you think its so complicated? It doesn't get much simpler than using GUI tools to install software.

Why the hell are drive letters used in windows? WTF is that about? C: A: D:. Confusing man. And they change! Hey, why did my D: become my E: drive now?

Wouldn't it be easier if the whole system was under a single directory, and different devices mounted onto directories under it. Something like having /home for user data, /media/cdrom for the cdrom drive. But I guess all we can do is dream.......

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Addis don't you see, it's not allowed to make that much sense! :dry:

7. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Linux:
    + Easy to obtain and install
    + Free
    + More secure than Windows (apparently - although personally I've never had any security problems with Windows)
    + Tonnes of free software
    + Few viruses (if any)
    - Hard to install software most of the time
    - Not helpful when there is a problem
    - Crashes more than Windows (for me)
    - Complicated words like kernel headers, glibc, confuse me :D
    - Piece of crap when it comes to wireless network cards
    - All the software seems to be in development stages

Windows:
    + Wide range of software
    + Plays commercial 3d games without having to pay extra for an emulator
    + Wide range of drivers
    + Faster than Linux
    + Programmes install easily
    - Expensive
    - You know Bill Gates is making a lot of money
    - Lots of security holes (apparently)
    - Not helpful when there are errors

My first computer (My Uncles *ancient* BBC Micro ran programmes from some massive floppy discs. To run the programmes you had to type A: and press enter, so it's not just Windows which uses drive letters.

BTW, I'm not Anti-Linux or Pro-Microsoft, it's just from my experience Windows is a lot easier and more reliable.

Oh, and I've never tried a Mac, so I can't comment on them :(

EDIT: Just found this:
    I couldn't have summarised Linux any better than that.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Linux for me is faster than Windows, Linux doesn't crash for me, wireless drivers are perfect (even the hardware switch on my laptop is recognised) software is a piece of cake to install - package managers rule! There's plenty of software that has stable versions, but I assume because of the nature of Open Source Software someone's always improving it (and developing it, which may make it seem like it's never finished) which doesn't happen with proprietory apps - only the vendor can release an update whereas with OSS if someone discovers a problem / wants to add a feature they can...

I may be wrong in areas so people correct me if I'm being n00by...I blame my exam and long day at work!

9. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Maybe I'm just unlucky with Linux. In Ubuntu 6.10 the sound didn't work. Also it wouldn't even let me connect through ethernet never mind wireless. The hardware switch I presume didn't work, although I never tried it. It wouldn't let me adjust the speed of my processor above 800mhz, although it's supposed to be 2GHz. Also the synaptics touchpad didn't work properly. I've got loads of homework so I'm ranting :D

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

ok, i love the drive letters, why, because its seperate, just like it is in the real world, my HDD, are conjoined together and i don't want them to be, i'd set up a RAID if i wanted that(granted i can't with my configuration, but still) It was really awkward to go into this folder for everything, i want some dividers, things need to be organized, lol, and they are very over organized in Linux. But everything in my computer "HOME" is just all lumped together, its weird. Bottom line, i completely understand now why people are so afraid of Linux, because its so scary. I guess some might call it "forward thinking" but i just call in overthought. Ok, i'm not saying Linux is bad in anyway, it just takes a lot of getting used to and patience in a certain way. Linux is still great and i would still tell anyone to try it for a decent amount of time, and to use it. But the Haiku people did do a slightly biased but good job with the summary.
    And all there really is to say about Windows, as i had previously put, which is all encompassing, its a dirty whore, made by hookers, HA, but true. Its loose and freaks out when your not expecting it, gets real messed up after not to long.
    Now that i'm thinking about it, friggin Haiku man, i might as well, maybe it will be sweet... bitter sweet i guess ugly

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

forgot to add, i have no idea what your guys are talking about, installing hardware on Linux is hard, plainly put. I guess if you happen to find what your looking for on whichever disto's servers your looking through on whichever installer they are using, then yeah it shouldn't be to hard. Otherwise, its way more difficult than it should be. but yeah, i had the same problem, it doesn't like my ethernet connection, but i guess i have to mess around with it.