I have a laptop w/ win95,but when it starts....

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by DwnSthGaBoyz, Mar 31, 2004.

1. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

i just got an older laptop from my buddy and when i start it, the windows 95 screen comes up where the system is loading, at first the computer is busy but after a few seconds the computer stops the loading process and nothing happens, the laptop doesnt freeze it just stops loading the settings, is there something i can do to make it come up? or can i go under the command prompt and reinstall win2000 or xp? if so whats the prompt for installing a new os?thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If it's running 95, you really don't want to try XP or 2000 on it, simply because it's unlikely to have enough CPU and RAM to run them at anything but a dog-slow speed. I wouldn't put anything higher than 98 on it.
    It could be that the HDD is just really slow, so you may need to give it some time to load up the OS too.

3. DwnSthGaBoyz

ill try that, im just used to no start up time for my pc, if it dont work ill write back...

4. DwnSthGaBoyz

well, its been at the windows 95 screen for about 10 min, and its still going, there is no noise coming from the laptop, the bottom tray just keeps moving, can i possibly run 2000 on there until i can upgrade it, or sell it? how do i put 2000 on there thru the prompt screen?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You can boot off the CD-ROM, but if the laptop doesn't let you, you can run the CD from Windows and it will get you through the process. Of course, if the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements (233MHz/64MB RAM), you won't be able to install it. Keep in mind that Win2k can run on 64MB, but it is dog slow and runs best with at least 128MB.

6. DwnSthGaBoyz

hmmm, that sux, i dont have a windows 95 with me, i geuss ill try to run 2000, if anything then im just going to install and sell the damn thing, it was free for me!!!

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If I were you, I'd put Vector Linux 4.0 on it. I know, I know... you probablly want Windows. But Vector is *very* fast on Pentium-class hardware with 64mb RAM, and pretty darn snappy on 32mb. It's got a lightweight graphical user interface, and is a fully functional operating system. It's pretty easy to install & use, it's stable, great on laptop batteries, and it's free :) If I still can't talk you out of Windows, try using Win95b. It at least has USB support, and DirectX up to 8.0b. It won't be as fast, stable, good with power, or as *free* as Vector Linux. But as far as Windows goes, it'll do better than your current OS.

8. DwnSthGaBoyz

right now man, im seriously on the verge of switching all comp in our house to linux because ive heard nothing but good about it, i just need a good version of the software to do so, windows and this house is starting to really make me mad, ive already launched 2 of my own comp out the door due to this file missing or that file corrupted and the crashing due to my experimenting with software. i just might take on linux very soon, cant you get linux at any comp store?thx

9. Anti-Trend

Linux is the free Unix-like operating system based on the kernel by Linux Torvalds. There are many companies that produce versions of Linux (called "distros"), and literally thousands of individual versions out there. The reason that there are so many is that everybody has different notions of what Linux should be like. Since it's open source, anybody has the power and privilege to make a custom version to suit their own needs. The ones you'd get at a store would typically be older versions of Redhat or Suse, which are intended for corperate use (they run very slow). When you buy a box set like that, you're also paying for tech support, so they can be pricey (though cheaper than windows). Since Linux is a *free* OS, you can obtain it for no cost -- even Redhat and Suse -- by simply downloading ISO images off of the internet. Or, if you don't have a fast internet connection, you can buy nice silk-screened CDs of the distro of your choice for the cost of the medium from many vendors. For instance, CheapBytes.

For older computers (like your laptop) I think Vector OS, which is a steamlined distro based on Slackware, would be perfect. For newer, more modern PCs, I'd try out Mandrake. Mandrake is a very feature-rich operating system, with a massive suite of free software. It's based on many of the same concepts and designs as Redhat, but it's much faster. Mandrake is also renowned as one of the easiest distros for those who are new to Linux. My wife loves Mandrake Linux, and she uses it exclusively -- she hates Windows. :)

Let me know if you need any help or advice, and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

-AT

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd also recommend Mandrake as the Linux distro for n00bs. I don't really use Linux myself, but I have seen the progression of Mandrake since like 6.1 or so. It's a very good distro to play with.
    If you're not sure about jumping cold turkey into Linux, you can get Knoppix which is a bootable CD distro that runs off the CD-ROM itself...but you want to run it on a system with a decent amount of RAM.

11. DwnSthGaBoyz

well, i think for the laptop im going to try the Vector linux os because it isnt the fastest cp but it runs win95 cleanly, for the big dawg im going to run the mandrake seeing that it is an easy program with plenty of detail, thanks for the help guys, im trying to freshen my cp skills so wont be the tech noob nemore, yhx

12. Anti-Trend

I would take my time transitioning, it can be a big step converting from Windows to Linux. There are a lot of major differences, and Linux is not a perfect OS either. An operating system is a tool, not a symbol of status, but some tools can be more useful than others. The real crux is that you must know how to utilize a tool before it is useful to you. My advice to you is to go into this kind of change knowing that you will have challenges and difficulties, but that you can learn and grow if you perservere. If you don't allow yourself to become frustrated with the differences and nuances, you may with time find that you actually enjoy those differences. I did. :)

13. DwnSthGaBoyz

well, i think i will gain from this changeover and besides i need change, win is old news and till they come out with something new i want to switch to something that i can play with for a while atleast

14. Anti-Trend

Change is good :) The worst thing that'll happen is that you'll learn more about the underlying principles of PC hardware and how it interacts with the OS. The best thing is that you'll be on the leading edge of technology, and you'll have a distinct advantage over most other people your age. Who wouldn't want to hire somebody that could implement a stable, secure, scalable and free infastructure for their business in place of their stagnant, expensive, proprietary solution?

15. DwnSthGaBoyz

words of a true wise man, yeah, im going for it, so all i need now is to download the software and kick it up, maybe read a couple tutorials while im downloading, thx

16. Anti-Trend

Wise choice. Oh, and don't feel anxious about it. My little sister has a learning disability, and she runs Mandrake Linux 9.2. (She was running WinXP, but it kept crashing, so I set MDK up for her). If she can run Linux with no problems, you can too! :)