I LOVE to HATE shitty HDDs!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Anti-Trend, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

/me wishes Maxtor and IBM to the corn field. "You've been bad. VERY bad. You must be punished!!!"

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Hey how are you buddy !

I too hate Maxtor hdds. Some love them, others, who have seen the light :D, like us, hate them.

I personally only use Western Digital hdds. The only reason I'd get a maxtor is if it was half the price of a western, then again I don't even know if I would because valuable data is not buyable.

Anyways, why do you hate Maxtor and IBM hdds so much ?

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hey dont put my Maxtor HD down :) I've had problems with seagate only, in the past!

4. Anti-Trend

Why do I hate Maxtors so much?

Greets, harrack52 :)

Hmm, is it the tech support, or the RMA process that I hate about Maxtor? No, as far as I'm concerned, Maxtor *DOESN'T HAVE* either of those things. :p Is it then that Maxtor HDDs are usually slower than Western Digital or Seagate equivilents? Nope, not that either. For me, it's the stack of Maxtors sputtering haphazardly in my file server, where almost 1/3 of my data is completely unrecoverable. The other 2/3 of the drives are Western Digital, and are currently purring happily after 3 years! :rolleyes: Even with fans directly on each of them, all my Maxtor drives but one are completely screwed. :swt: IMHO -=Sniper=-, if you've had good experience with Maxtor drives, you're one of the lucky few!

The only brand I've really had no bad experience with [yet] is Western Digital. I generally do like Seagate, but I have had some crap out on me in the past.

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Anti, I think but not too sure that the Maxtor I have is a replacement of another Maxtor, which fucked up after just a 2 weeks, though I'm not too sure :)

6. Anti-Trend

Sure sounds like a Maxtor, doesn't it? :) But as much as I dislike Maxtor drives, I'd still rather have a Maxtor than an IBM "Death Star" or a Quantam Fireball (no kidding, they're actually called "fireball").

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I don't like Quantum either, nor do I like Fujitsu !

I remember when we had to tell the BIOS the number of cylinders, heads, platters, etc. It would never work the first time.

I've never used IBM drives but I've heard so many "good" things that I'm not sure if I want to.

8. Anti-Trend

IBM HDDs

Yeah, take my word, IBMs suck. You would think they were steam-powered they run so hot. It's never long before they seize up like an epileptic. And their RMA process is as bad as Maxtor (i.e. no reply at all).

9. Anti-Trend

....Ahh, I feel much better now. Thanks for ranting with me.

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ranting is good.

It's what separates us from the animals :p

11. Addis

Addis The King

yyyeeeaaahhhhh! i use only seagates! i don't know y. r seagates good and what colour are the curtains in my room? answer those.

12. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

1) To me no.

2) Pink with purple dots ?

13. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

ahahahahaha i have had a maxtor in the past, i have a maxtor now, and i will always buy maxtor. i agree they have had some errors in the past but now the have proved the test of quiality and and are back in competition with western digital. if you wann insult a hdd then insult seagate :D

14. Anti-Trend

Hmmm, I don't mean you any insult misunoko, but perhaps you should cumulate a little more experience before you make such blanket statements? Seagate probably makes the best SCSI hard drives in the world, or very close. And Seagate's Barraccuda line of IDE HDDs are very fast and stable. If you don't care about your data, Maxtor makes a great HDD. But then again, so does IBM, Fujitsu... I'd be caught dead before I put Maxtor HDDs in a server, and I wouldn't be too keen on saving $10 and putting them in workstations, either. I hope Maxtor, IBM, and Fujistu all begin taking QA a little more seriously and become 'serious' HDD manufacturers, but currently myself and many other technicians find them to be under par for course.

15. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

Ha i just got through throwing out my p.o.s. hd and it was a 20Gig seagate, its sitting across the street if someone wants it

16. Anti-Trend

Tempting, but no. I'm all stocked up on doorstops and paperweights, but thank you for the kind & generous offer.

17. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'll take it if and only if it doesn't work anymore.