I need a DVD ripper!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Apr 8, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I've just spent the last two hours trying to install DVD::RIP for Linux. It took my ages to sort out the dependencies. After all my hard work the :swear: thing doesn't work! I am so :swear: off right now.

WHEN WILL LINUX SORT OUT THE GOD DAMN DEPENDENCIES ISSUES! :swear: :swear: :swear:

Please for god's sake can someone recommend a good DVD ripper which is EASY TO INSTALL!!

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, I installed that program without any difficulties. I don't use SUSE though; in Mandriva 2006, it's a snap. I know I play that harp a little too often, but I stick to my guns that Mandriva Linux is one of if not 'the' best desktop OS. But that being stated, I use AcidRip to rip DVDs anyway, not DVD::RIP. It seems to work better, requires very little setup, and I can rip a 2hr movie in 15 minutes on my rig.

3. megamaced

I was a little OTT with that post, but I was also a little drunk too..

I will check out AcidRip later today.

On the plus side, I had to install MPlayer to sort out the dependencies for DVD::Rip. MPlayer looks really really good. Much better at playing DVDs then Kaffiene anyway.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot]
    I am not surprised you got drunk in the process. I would probably reach for the razor by now.... :D

I do not touch video in Linux. But then again I am too happy with my video suites under Windows..... I should give ripping a go just to get that 'grab-the-:swear::swear: -rig-and-throw-it-out-of-the-window' feeling.... LOL good luck man![/ot]

5. Anti-Trend

Like I said, it works fine for me, and my brother was able to install and use AcidRip successfully on his Mandriva box as well. I don't see what's so hard about it to be honest -- where are you having problems?

6. megamaced

YaST does a good job discovering dependency issues. But what i'd love to see implemented in the future is a resolve dependencies function that would automatically find, download and install any missing files needed for an installation. That would make life so much easier!

I've given up with DVD backup for now. AcidRIP was littered with dependencies as well. I'd have though that the 2GB installation size of SuSE would at least include some files that I need :confused:

I decided to install Mandriva 2006 earlier today. Everything was going great til I realised my Hauppauge TV card didn't work. It's very difficult to get help on this because it's a rare setup. Not many people use TV cards - especially in Linux! So unfortunately I had to go back to SuSE.

[ot] Do you know of an easy step by step guide that illustrates file sharing with Samba? I'd also like to file share between SuSE and Ubuntu [/ot]

7. Anti-Trend

I don't know what to tell you man; I had a Hauppage card which even worked fine in Mandrake 10.0, so maybe you just don't have it setup right?

[ot]
    Samba is for file sharing with Windows machines. You want NFS to file share between Unices.[/ot]

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

Not that this helps you even a little bit, but I also have AcidRip installed without a problem. Maybe on your new install it'll go a little more smooth. The program works great for me, hope you can get it working.

9. megamaced

I've attached a text file with all the missing dependencies for AcidRIP. I have MPlayer installed already and I'm pretty sure I have Perl installed. I don't understand why they are showing as missing? Prehaps I have the wrong versions? :confused:

Attached Files:

10. Anti-Trend

Those aren't conflicts, the packages simply aren't available in your existing repositories. I don't know SUSE repos well, but that's the direction you should be looking. You need to find and add repositories for SUSE which have the packages you're looking for.

11. megamaced

It's not at easy as it seems though. Take this for example:

I want to install Program A, but Program A requires that I have Program B and C. So I install Program B but Program C requires that I have program D, E and F. So I install all of these programs as well, while adding programs G and H for compatibilty with Program F

Confused?

Program C works great, as does program D. Perfect!

But the whole reason I started this was to get program A to work - and it still doesn't!

12. Anti-Trend

Those are called circular dependancies, which is not good. Well tested repositories will not conflict with eachother at all. I hate to bring up Mandriva again, but I have something like 11 repositories with thousands of programs, and I don't ever have circular dependancies.

13. megamaced

When you speak of repositories do you mean:

A: Repositories accessable with a package manager such as YaST?

B: Website that host various packages for a specific distribution?

YaST doesn't include any online repositories. I can only browse the software contained on the installation DVD. This seems strange now that I have become accustomed to Ubuntu - whose package manager includes loads of online repositories.

I've only found a few repositories for SuSE. They are:

Packman (Links2Linux.org)
    RPM.PBONE.NET

Most of the packages I have downloaded are from PBONE. Maybe I am downloading the wrong programs+versions?

After all of this, I have decided I want to learn to compile software myself. I've been reading a guide http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Software/Compiling_Software.html and I have to say it all sounds really simple! Theres one thing I am not sure of though. Once I've compiled the software and made an executable, how do I set up the program links in my applications menu (KDE or GNOME)?

14. Anti-Trend

Both, but I was referring to YaST.

In my brief flings with Suse, I had a very difficult time finding quality repos. Either the software conflicted, or else they were only very tiny collections of packages. This is in sharp contrast with other distros such as Ubuntu, Debian, RH, or Mandriva where I could find pretty much any package and the different repos work well together. Maybe it's just because I don't speak German, and most of the Suse repos are apparently in that language. In any case, I did find a walkthrough with many Suse repos listed, although I don't know how good they actually are. http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

15. megamaced

16. megamaced

I still get massive dependency errors with these DVD rippers. Even after i've added all of the repositories to YaST2.

I'm going to approach this from a different angle now - I'm going to use Wine!

I set-up Wine last night and 'cough'....installed Internet Explorer and other Windows DLLs. I CAN EXPLAIN EVERYTHING! I only installed IE because other Windows programs rely on it!

I am going to install Magic DVD Ripper later tonight. I used this program when I was a Windows user... back in the dark ages.

Saba, you could run those programs in Linux using Wine! Do you still have Kubuntu installed? If so, here's a HOWTO.

17. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot]
    Like I mentioned before, Windows is still a relevant OS for me.
    The fact that it has flaws in some departments still does not render it useless. Not for me anyway. Yes I would prefer to use Linux full time but I do not see 'Wine' as the answer. That is just my opinion. If it is not broken do not fix it. The day Linux come up with some decent easy to use, 'one-stop-shop' applications for doing things like video conversion and authoring (like for example TMPGEnc), will probably be the day I will start waring the squaters down about switching over completely.
    Thanks for the tip though.
    By the way I did try to use Wine once.....:confused:

Oh and - I have Kubuntu (Dapper Drake) installed.
    I love it.
    However, over the weekend I am going to give Ubuntu another go.
    Not sure why... something to do I guess.... :eek: [/ot]

18. Anti-Trend

It seems the repos you've added are not very comprehensive. This is one of the reasons I'd don't recommend Suse; it seems all the good repos (if there are any) are in something besides English. I've never had that problem with other distros, not in Mandriva, not in RHEL or Fedora, and not in Debian / Ubuntu / Kubuntu. In fact, Suse is the only distro I've had a hard time finding decent repos for.

19. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Nuff said.... ditch SUSe and install a Mandrake or Debian based distro... LOL

Only joking... :confused:

Man, I do not envy you... :eek:

20. megamaced

You won't rest til i've ditched SuSE will you? :D I bet you've got a dart board at home with the SuSE logo stuck bang in the centre!

I've suceeded in my quest to use Wine for my DVD tools. I've posted a few screenshots. Oh yeah, and theres a screenshot of Internet Explorer too :eek: Very tongue-in-cheek - especially considering I am typing this IN Internet Explorer now! I am going to see a Doctor next week so there's no need to worry about me :D

Attached Files: