IBM 6400 Line Printer Unreadable

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by SlowCoder, Mar 1, 2007.

1. SlowCoder

SlowCoder Geek Trainee

We have a IBM 6400 high speed line printer. Recently the printouts are skewed, looking to me like as the print head rotates back and forth the pins aren't lining up. I (think I) attached an image of the printout to better explain the issue.

Attached Files:

2. SlowCoder

SlowCoder Geek Trainee

bump ...
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

go through the link in my signature and see if that helps you out :unsure:

4. goldeneye

goldeneye Geek Trainee

Have you tried cleaning the cartridges/printer?

Lindy have some good products Welcome to LINDY Computer Connection Technology

I have added some of the tips from their website below

LINDY Cleaning Cartridge Guide

Cleaning Carts for Tip

LINDY’s Cleaning Cartridges are designed to recover print heads that have become blocked with dirt and dried ink. They should only be used when the regular print head cleaning procedures are not effective. The cleaning cartridges contain a special fluid which dissolves the dried ink and clears the tiny jets in the print head.

How to use LINDY Cleaning Cartridges

First of all, ensure you have a new ink cartridge available to install in the printer after you have used the cleaning cartridge.

Important note: We do not recommend you re-use a partially used ink or cleaning cartridge, as removing and replacing the same cartridge can cause air to enter the print head, which can disrupt the ink flow and dry it up. Also, if your printer uses ‘chipped’ cartridges it may reject a partially used cartridge.

1. Remove the inkjet cartridge from the printer and replace with the Cleaning Cartridge.
    2. Perform at least 3 head cleaning cycles, more if the print head is blocked or the printer has been left standing for some time. (Refer to your printer’s documentation for instructions on how to do this).
    3. If possible, leave the printer to stand overnight. This allows the cleaning fluid to dissolve any dried ink.
    4. With the Cleaning Cartridge still in the printer, print 3 full pages of each affected colour. Use software with drawing facilities, e.g. MS Paint to create a large rectangle filled with the required colour. Set the print quality option to ‘Best’, ‘Fine’ or ‘Photo’ (whichever is appropriate for your printer).
    5. Replace the Cleaning Cartridge with NEW inkjet cartridges and perform 3 head cleaning cycles to flush any residue cleaning fluid out of the print head.

Tips to avoid future print-head blockages

* Use your printer regularly. When a printer is left unused for a long time the ink can dry out!
    * Try to avoid removing an ink cartridge until directed to by the printer software or LED status indicators. Removing and replacing a partially used cartridge can allow air to enter the print head and disrupt the ink flow. It can also make the ink outlet hole bigger which increases the risk of leaks.
    * When the cartridge is empty, do not remove it until you have a new one to replace it with. Leaving a printer stand without a cartridge in allows air to enter the print head and can cause the ink to dry out.