IDE 39 pin to SATA type hard-drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by thestig, Mar 14, 2009.

1. thestig

thestig Geek Trainee

Hi,

I purchased a new pc and wanted to place my old hard-drive inside the new pc so I can have 2 hard-drives.

The only problem is that my original hd is connected with a 39 pin cable, i think its called a IDE cable, and inside the new pc, the hard-drive is connected with i think called a SATA1 cable, and is alot smaller, obviously this must be that latest technology..

Does anyone know if there is a cable available which will allow me to link up my old hard-drive inside my new pc? so I can have my old and the new hd's together?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the 39 pin cable is actually called a 40 pin IDE cable and is only capable of transfering up to a maximum theretical speed of 33Mb/s (megabits per second) however in about 2000 ish the number of conectors doubled from 40 to 80 this meant the theretical maximum speed was increased upto 133Mb/s (obviously compatable devices are required to achieve the max speed e.g. to use a 33Mb/s device you only need a 33Mb/s cable & similarly you need an 80 connector cable to use devices that support 66Mb/s, 100Mb/s or 133Mb/s, it is pointless using 80 connector cable on an old HDD because the device will not benefit from the higher speed)

IDE 133 is comparable (performance) with SATA1 which also has a max theoretical speed but SATA1's theretical maximum speed is 150Mb/s

any 40 or 80 connector cable will do as it will work well on either at the max speed of the device[ot]reading that will keep you busy for a while[/ot]

3. thestig

thestig Geek Trainee

Thanks for your helpful advice

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

np, hope you understand it

BTW: welcome to HWF