Installing BT

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by stinkfing3r, Jul 23, 2005.

1. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

hey i got it in, i think. folder was created in python and yadda yadda yadda.. looked in usr/bin and found several bt files including btdownloadgui.something that i think is needed.

But now i have bit tornado and i cant overwrite the files in the usr/bin so i figured i'd try bittorrent client. well it seems that im supposed to just point the torrent file at firefox right? well i do that, and all it does is create another torrent file on my desktop just like the one of started with.

you all will probably laugh cause im such a noob haha, but im slow when it comes to this.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm using BT++ personally in Windows, but I *think* it's available for Linux. Anyway, I've had to right-click on the torrent link and copy the full url off the dialogue box that pops up. Then I'd use the manual way of adding a torrent to the queue.

3. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

oh well i give up.. ill just find a diff way to dl.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You have to basically open the torrent file and choose where you want to save the actual downloaded file that will result. You can only write in your /home/user_name/ folder by default in Linux/Unix systems, which is good. In other words, save it somewhere in your home dir.

5. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

yeah saving the actual torrent file.. ie file.torrent isnt a problem.. its getting the torrent program to work at all. even tho its installed i cant get it to do anything when i click on the torrent file

6. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Maybe the binary is not part of your path. Try pasting a link to the binary in /usr/local/bin and see if that works.