installing new Hard drive crashed my cd drives

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jester45, May 23, 2006.

1. jester45

jester45 Big Geek wanna be

i have 2 harddrive but they are on there own IDE cable and are working and 2 cd drive one is cd r the other is cd r/rw the cd r is the original and the r/rw is about 2 years old i have a cd for this but cant use it becuase my old cd r if not working to nether show in BIOS or windows

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

It means you are using just one, which is cd r/w?

If you can then try it out on another machine and check if its working or faulty.

3. jester45

i would like to use both my set up is a IDE cable going to both cd drive the cd r/rw is the newer one and its the slave the CD r is the older one and its the master the master is on the end of the cable and the cd r/rw is in the middle

the drives should not be faulty becuase they both were working one min the next restart they both stoped

i think i will try a diffrent IDE cable the one im useing is an old one the other one i got is a brand new one that came with the new harddrive

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Can't gaurantee the life, anything can happen anytime but both of them stop working creates some doubt. I would say try one at a time. try swapping their power connectors as well.

5. jester45

the power connectors work becuase they open/close they allso blink(LEDs)when i boot the comp but BIos and windows dosent show them do u think that the bios have something to do with it like a setting is wrong i did revert to the orgianal setting trying to get the hardrive to work

i tried this

CD-R __CD-R/RW
    cable___cable
    master__slave
    slave___master
    slave___slave
    master__master

and i tried a diffrent cable

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Set up your computer like this:

Primary IDE Cable
    l l==========================l l================l l
    _______________________Second Hard Drive__________C:\Drive
    _____________________________Slave_______________Master

Secondary IDE Cable
    l l==========================l l================l l
    ___________________________CDRW Drive__________CDR Drive
    _____________________________Slave______________Master
    ________________________(or Cable Select)______(or Cable Select)

7. jester45

i have did that before i think that this might help but when i was booting the comp a black screen used to say this driver was provided by Oakland tech

now it says that then under it says there is no driver found

i dont know if my computer has cable select

it dosent matter if i was a 80pin cable or a 40 if the drives are 40 pin right

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You do realise that you are supposed to select 'Cable Select' on the IDE devices using the jumpers? The reason I ask is because every IDE device has Cable Select.

Have you been changing the jumpers on the CD-ROM drives?

What you mean to say is 40 wires and 80 wires. Both types of IDE cable share the same 40pin connector.

It doesn't matter which specification of cable you use, but an 80 wire cable will give you better performance

9. jester45

yea i have been changeing jumpers i dont know id my comp has cable select i know that some dont do u think that trying one at a time as master only and then cable select with it being the only one on

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i can't find your mobo online, find it and download manual and you should be able to sort it

11. jester45

my friend fixed it for me some how the drive get deleted or moved so he was trying to fix somethings and presto it worked
    thanks for trying