Intels plans for 6xx series

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

The Inquirer says that Intel has plans for the 6xx series of desktop CPUs. The new series of CPUs will have 2mb of cache with an 800MHZ FSB. The biggest difference is the EM64T support which is only in Xeons named Nocona at the moment. For those of you who have been living under a rock EM64T is Intel's answer to AMD64 and is compatible with x86-64 like A64s. They will have Intels Enhance Speedstep Technology which will reduce power consumption lower than the 5xx series.

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Didn't the 2mb of cache only greatly increase temperatures of the EE's?

I think Intel should be looking into improving the chip performance in terms of floating points and other various techy bits, rather than jacking up the price with seemingly worthless cache.

Whilst I'm sure it has some effect, I cannot see the benefit of 1mb on my Prescott, let alone a stupidly expensive 2megs.

Speaking off next gen chips - PS3 is said to have the capability of 10 trillion calculations a second. That's 10x faster than any console chip out there now.

Go Cell!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Intel is working on dual- and multi-core CPU's. However, AMD will probably have them to market before Intel does.

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Go Amd!

5. Addis

Addis The King

Thats likely. Imagine the folding you could do if you had multiple threads on f@h on multi-core Opterons. Anyway the current generation are to be phased out for the launch of the next gen 90nm multi-core Opterons.

You can't really blame intel for putting the 2mb cache on the P4 since the P4s are quite sensitive to cache size they're putting on some more for extra performance. Just like they did on the Extreme Editions. :eek:

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Although all that did was put on extra degree's + cost...

seen the test at THG where they stick a EE in with a temperature die, and it reaches 75+ degrees browsing the web, I'll try and dig up the link.

EDIT: Get it here - it's worth seeing, I think.

7. Addis

Addis The King

Yea but what was it that caused all that heat. Was it the extra cache on the fact that it was a 90nm cpu?