Internet Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by rjcube, Jun 14, 2006.

1. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

A few days ago my Internet was working fine, then the day after I couldn't connect. I checked network settings and such, and the only thing wrong was that I wasn't receiving nearly as many packets as were being transmitted. Also my sisters laptop was connecting to the Internet fine (running windows XP) I tried different settings for my network, I also tried messing around with modem settings and router settings. Nothing worked, and then yesterday it just started working out of nowhere. I have had this problem once before when I used Mandrake, but now I'm on Ubuntu. When this problem comes up I can only use a certain version of AIM and the Terminal also seems to recognize that I am connected. What causes this and what would I need to do if it happens again to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'd like to help you, but I'm gonna need a lot more info than that. By "couldn't connect", what do you mean? Do you mean you couldn't surf the internet, couldn't ping your router, couldn't get an IP, etc...

Also, what type of network connection is it, and what type of route are you using?

3. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

Alright then, I could not surf the Internet at all, the only thing I could do was use a certain version of AIM. I could ping anything just fine at the time also.

And lastly, I have a DSL connection, my modem is an Actiontec GT701-WG and my Router is a Linksys RTP300. The router is for a VoIP service, and everything is connected through ethernet.

4. Anti-Trend

When you had network problems yet certain traffic worked, could you ping sites by domain name or only by IP?

5. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

Domain name

6. Anti-Trend

It seems that DNS is working, your routes are correct, and traffic is getting where it's supposed to be going. In that case, it's an unusual issue indeed. Next time this occurs, try telnet'ing to port 80 on Google and see if you can get a "HELO" out of it.