Internet Speed

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sn1P3R, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Sn1P3R

Sn1P3R Geek Trainee

Hi, i just want to know if you can actually speed up your internet connection using software such as Internet Accelerator or TCP Optimizer, do they really work?
    Is there any other way of getting a faster connection other than the obvious, deleting cookies etc...

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

I have seen some people on these forums say they tried that sort of software and it worked for them and that they were even surprised. However, I would venture to say no, it is not possible. Your ISP provides you with a certain amount of bandwidth and I certainly do not know of a way to "sneak" yourself some extra bandwidth and get away with it. I would say it is possible for one of those programs to make it appear as if your internet is faster by maybe having all of the pages you visit often cached, but your normal browser already does the same thing. So once again, I'd say its not worth your time.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I am on dsl, and I am testing allot of those software right now to see if they work. If you go to speakeasy.net to test your speed first, then you can see if there software can make ANY difference.

4. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

They actually do. As long as you are connected directly to your modem you will see a speed increase. I have done this personally, and is a pretty well kept secret. If you use Windows XP SP2, patch tcpip.sys to get better performance.

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

What? So if you have a home network, with a cable modem connected to a router, then they won't help? Only if connected directly to modem? And if so, why/how do they help?? What is the mechanism?

And what do you mean by "patch tcpip.sys"? What is that, and how do you patch it?

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If your using a cable modem, then why would you need anymore speed.
    This is mainly for dial up and low speed dsl ...So far I have tested about 4 of them, and only found 1 that works.. But the testing goes on..

7. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

The reason that it is best to be directly connected to your modem is because your router/switch/hub actually bottlenecks the connection. Patching the file will allow you to use the full bandwidth available to you. The reason this is for cable and not dial-up is for the simple fact that dial up is too slow. The bottleneck is the connection itself, not the computer. Now on cable modems, the bottleneck is definately the computer and this helps.

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Soo what do you mean by patching the file? And what happens after it's patched that makes things faster?