Is it the PSU or graphics card???

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by JollyGreenGiant, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant Geek Trainee

I've had a strange issue recently, started about 2 weeks ago, where it would seem that my computer would restart randomly and then my monitor would go idle instead of just staying on. This happens everytime my computer restarts or gets shut down, the monitor will always go idle and then I have to constantly push the power button on my case on and off until it gets running again. First I did a memtest run, even though the ram doesn't really pertain to this problem, and I got 0 errors. Then I switched my monitor with my dad's and I was getting the same issues. I then cleaned out my case completely, ridding of big clumps of dust and even reapplying the thermal paste to my cpu so heat shouldn't be a problem. I even reformatted my computer, so this can't be software related. The only things left could be the video card or the PSU in my eyes, most likely the PSU just because it seems more like a power issue since games still run fine as well as other visual tasks. I don't have a spare video card nor PSU to check though so can you guys suggest anything to me? I greatly appreciate it, and if you need anymore info, just ask.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hmm sounds like a problem i had a while back, first i changed cooling on CPU - problem still there, then changed the PSU - problem still there it does it less but it still does it, on my computer i think it may be the NB overheating, but it may be different on your PC, what is your PSU? is it a generic case one as with that system i doubt its powerful enough if its a case/crappy geeric PSU...

3. JollyGreenGiant

I just updated my computer parts list so I guess you didn't see, I have an Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU, obviously quality and very credible so I'd hate to think that it's dying on me.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Damn what could it be? you have a nice system there using quality parts...i'm stumped... :eek:hah:

5. JollyGreenGiant

Yeah I know, it's really pissing me off because I've had tons of problems with this computer before, the biggest being my ram which I had to RMA back to newegg, and that was over summer, so now just a month or two later I'm having problems AGAIN. I haven't even told my dad and don't want to because he'll probably flip out. It's ridiculous that you can get such top of the line parts and have so many problems, yet I have a friend who bought a budget computer for about 700 and he hasn't ever had a problem in his life. :x:

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

its sometimes the way, i'm sorry i cant help anymore, i really am stumped :eek:hah:

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i would say start the computer as barebones, but that might not help because it loads through bios, you can try it though...
    Step 1 - Motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM
    Step 2 - Motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM + Graphics Card
    Step 3 - Motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM + Graphics Card + HDD
    Step 4 - Motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM + Graphics Card + HDD + Optical Drive(s) (one at a time with them if there's more than one)

8. JollyGreenGiant

Do you think instead of doing all that since I really don't have the time, I could just uninstall my display drivers and what not, and then just take the card out of my computer and try booting up without it? Wouldn't that be kind of the same thing as replacing it with a video card I knew for a fact wasn't messed up?

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

erm...i'm not sure, you could try it...might work :confused:

10. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Theres no point booting without a Video Card because then how are you going to know if your monitor turns on?
    In addition all you'll get is beeps, beeps and more beeps!