Is this a definite sign of faulty RAM?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by audio84, Nov 20, 2008.

1. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I've been receiving countless BSOD's with several errors on them, but mostly one that's something like "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA". Most of the time, they happen when the computer is under load. For instance, playing a game, or rendering a film.

After looking at what it could be, I found it may be faulty RAM. I ran the 'memtest86' program to see what that came up with.

After running, it had errors on Test 5, stating that the chip in the second slot (I have 2x1gb chips) had 2 errors, and the chip in the first slot had no errors at all.. so I decided to swap them and run the test again. After I ran it the second time, Test 5 said the chip in the first slot had 2 errors, and the chip in the second slot was fine.. to me it seems like one of the chips is faulty to me, but I'm unsure..

You guys think this could be causing the BSOD's? My mate has the same mobo (with same drivers) and 4GB of the same brand RAM, and he hasn't had a BSOD since he's had them. Just want to make sure before I go buying new RAM.

Here's my specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core
    Asus Nvidia nForce 590i SLI
    Nvidia EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB
    Corsair 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 Ram
    Creative X-Fi Platinum Soundcard
    WD 500GB Hard Disk

Thanks for the help!! Oh, and it's my first post on here :)

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

The BSOD's and the errors shown in Memtest do indeed mean that one or more RAM chips are faulty.

3. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

You know, that's the first time that something like that has put a smile on my face! I've been trying to figure out what it is for weeks!!

Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)