Is this the right place for hardware tech support?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by thismightbeausername, Oct 6, 2013.

1. thismightbeausername

thismightbeausername Geek Trainee

I really don't know, I've been registered for literally five minutes. If it needs to be moved, please move it.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531s, running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, and a few hours ago I went to do my usual routine of shutting it down and bringing it back up in lieu of the restart option. I also got up to take care of other business for less than a minute, came back and tried to start it back up and was greeted with the power light remaining orange(or is it amber?), the activity light being solid, not flashing at all, and all three fans within spinning rather fast. Now this has happened before, which is why I had taken to leaving my computer on 24/7, with interspersed restarts every week or so, and I had always fixed it by shutting it down by the power button and letting it sit for a minute or two, then starting it back up normally, and it usually took one or two tries to do it, but it always worked.

Tonight, however, it didn't. I've been trying since about 8:45pm(currently 12:49am) to fix this and nothing's worked. I reseated most of the plugs inside that I could get to, nothing looks like it's exploded on the motherboard, and beyond that I am just clueless. I'm thinking, and worrying, that it might be my hard drive died.

I recorded a video of it, about 20 or so minutes into the issue, showing what precisely I'd been dealing with. The portions of the video that go dark are when I moved my camera nearer to the vents so that you could hear the fans spinning inside. Video

I must apologize for the likely-poorly-formatted wall of text, but that's my issue.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Seems like your computer reboots continuously. I suspect power supply is broken.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Don't think it is the power supply, it is either hard drive or video card or ram... lets hope its not the motherboard..Does the monitor light up ? is it green or orange?

4. thismightbeausername

Monitor does not light up, it sits there orange.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Orange means NO video signal...This can be a number of things... I am afraid you are going to have to narrow it down..Do you have another computer to test parts on ?
    Is the Video Onboard or a card ?

6. thismightbeausername

I do not have another computer to test parts on. It's a card. ATI Radeon 2400, if that helps.

I tested with different RAM and a different hard drive and received the same results; do you think it could be the video card died? I don't really have any way to test this, as I have no spare video cards with which to test.

Motherboard died, I guess this thread is pointless now.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You might be able to find another Dell Motherboard For a reasonable price to fix it..

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek