Issue New Rig: Gpu Fan Runs Intermittently And No Display Or Post Sound

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by ecthel, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ecthel

ecthel Geek Trainee

Hi all, I'm having some trouble with my new rig. When I turn it on all the fans start working but the one from the gpu works intermittently. Ramps up for 3sec, slows down and then stops for a sec and then starts again. I'm connecting an HDTV to it but now image comes out at all and I don't hear the Post. This is my rig:http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/elguru/saved/7j8XsYCPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core ProcessorCPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling ACALP64 Pro 36.7 CFM CPU Cooler Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 MemoryStorage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard DriveVideo Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card PSU power cooler 500w I already tried: to start with one slot of ram (no change), to change the PSU (no change), to reset BIOS (no change) and to use my gpu in another mobo (it works fine). Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

Many thanks!!!!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A couple things I would check:
    1.) Make sure the CPU cooler is properly seated, secured and that anything aside from thermal paste wasn't left on the CPU contact area of the cooler.
    2.)Power cooler...I haven't heard of that brand before, so I'm a little suspicious. In fact, I can't come up with anything for it on Google, but I was getting directed to Cooler Master, which can be hit or miss. I would check to make sure all power connections to the motherboard (ATX and +12V/EPS are the main ones, and should be shown in the motherboard manual, but any others noted should be as well) are plugged in and that all power connectors to the video card (if there) are plugged in.
    3.)May not be a problem, but make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header. In the past, some motherboards were notorious for boot issues when the CPU fan header was left disconnected. I don't think it's a real issue these days, but worth bringing up.

Failing that, take out the motherboard and place it on a non-conductive solid surface. I use the motherboard box for this, and use a minimal configuration: motherboard, CPU + cooler, 1 stick of RAM in the first RAM slot (0 or 1, depending on company), power supply--all power connections plugged in. You can short the power-on header with a small flat-head screwdriver (a jumper will do the job, but is trickier to use for this purpose). If this boots, then you need to look at the case.

Here, you want to make sure that the stand offs are installed and correspond with the mounting holes on the motherboard.

Let us know if that helps.

3. ecthel

ecthel Geek Trainee

Thanks. I still couldn't solve it. A few updates:
    - I readjusted the CPU and now the GPU fan works but still see no image on the screen.
    - I tried a new but older CPU as mine wasn't supported under factory BIOS but still nothing on the screen.
    Is there any way I can check whether the mobo is working?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's not much more to check. If you can test the RAM and CPU in another machine, do it. If you're using a VGA connector or VGA through a DVI converter, make sure it's one for VGA out if you have multiple DVI ports.

Outside of those things, you may have ended up with a bum board.