Issues With Powering Up Pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Belthazor, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Belthazor

Belthazor Geek Trainee

Recently I've been having issues getting my PC to start up, at least normally. Simply put, instead of using the power button to turn the PC on, I'm have to take the power cable in and out at the back until it turns on. It's a very bizarre, hit and miss process. I hit the power button, take the power cable out and then jam it back in. Repeat until it turns on.

Occasionally, the power up will "miss". The lights come on and then it will die. I find in those situations, I have to take the power cable out, wait until the capacitors clear (typically when the lights on the graphics cards go out), and then start the process all over again.

Once the PC does turn, everything functions normally.

Needless to say this is concerning, but I'm wondering where the issue might actually lie. My thoughts are that the issue is due to the power supply more than anything but I really can't be sure.

Specs for the PC are below in case it matters.

Motherboard - Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 990FXA-UD5 Motherboard
    Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
    Processor - AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+)
    PSU - XFX P1-1250-BEFX Black Edition 1250W
    RAM - Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM
    SSD - 250GB SSD HD
    HDD - 3TB HDD
    Graphics - 3 x Asus GeForce GTX 780Ti

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Pull the power supply out and try it in another pc.. Sounds like the psu is going out..

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I would certainly start with a different power supply. I don't think you would need a 1250W for testing, but a hearty 700W would be fine for starters.
    Another thing that you might want to check is what other stuff is on the same circuit as the computer. Often, a circuit has an 1800W capacity (120V * 15A=1800W), and while I don't think you're drawing anywhere near 1250W, the other stuff, if high power might give you trouble.