kde 4.1

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by donkey42, Nov 17, 2008.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well personally i hate it, yes i know, i haven't given it much chance, but, tbh i've tried looking for how to change to the default K menu because i hate that stupid new one, Christ i can't even change the taskbar,

BTW: i've already looked through all of "system settings" but i have to say adapt is now idiot proof, i quite liked the fact that your system may not boot on reboot but that's my masochistic side coming out to say hello

and as for default text cursor, well to say "i don't like it" would be a understatement anyway i've had enough of 4.1 come back 3.5.6 all is forgiven

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

KDE 3 won't be around for ever. Soon you'll have to decide whether to jump to KDE 4 or go all GNOMEY (the latter option was my choice and I haven't looked back).

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i'll stick with 3 for now, but i'll be trying some WM

4. zeus

zeus out of date

I know the differences between the Desktop Environments, but im curious as to why Xfce isnt as popular as Gnome and KDE.
    IMO, Gnome and KDE bloated with stuff I will never use. Like Vista or a Dell PC, Acer laptop etc. Maybe you guys just use the stuff I dont? I use Xubuntu.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I will stick with 3.5 until I literally have no other option. Then I will probably move to Xfce. Although it is minimalistic, my laptop will not be able to run much more.... I might try Gnome first though.... will se e how brown it gets... hehe :chk:

6. megamaced

The switch from KDE to GNOME can be painful at first, but not as painful as the initial switch from Windows to Linux. Its just a case of getting accustomed to the various GTK apps and the GNOME way of doing things. Besides, these days most of the good stuff is happening in GNOME: Network Manager, Compiz, Transmission, Evolution, Empathy, Restricted Drivers, Seahorse, PolicyKit and System-Config-Printer. Yes most of those have their QT parts or work in some respect in KDE, but they were available to GNOME users first and work better in GNOME, generally speaking. Plus all the major applications work and look better in GNOME: Adobe Reader, VLC, GIMP, OpenOffice, Firefox, Adobe Flash, VMware Workstation, Nvidia control panel etc..

The only QT applications I use these days are Skype, Last.fm player and Kid3.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

KDE 4.2 is out??? even then, it has its problems, but its only been released for what?? a couple months now, while KDE 3.5 and Gnome have been around for ages, it will polish out. I've been using it for a little bit, and its not that sweet, but i definitely see the potential. I'm excited.

8. megamaced

There are killers apps for it. No compelling reason to want it.