Kubuntu 5.04 Released!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Kubuntu is a simple, clean and elegant Linux distro which can be either run straight from CD or installed to a hard drive. A really great little distro, Kubuntu lives up to its name (kubuntu means "towards humanity" in Bemba).

[​IMG]

I'd like to encourage those who have not tried Linux to give it a whirl, since it doesn't cost anything and it's pretty fun for geeks who like to learn new things. A 'live' distro like Kubuntu is a great opportunity, because you can experiment and learn without actually changing your hard drive or replacing your primary OS. If down the road you decide to take that step, it'll do that too.

Kubuntu will run on any PC platform, PPC (Mac), or AMD64.

All the best,
    -AT

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Nice post AT, Might give it a try

3. Addis

Addis The King

Yea I've been wanting to try a live distro just to see how linux feels. Should give it a try soon.

4. Addis

Addis The King

:eek: just saw the file size, maybe not.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Why how big is it?? I havnt checked it out yet

6. Addis

Addis The King

About 630Mb for the live iso.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ohh

8. Anti-Trend

There are distros small enough to fit on a 64mb flash card with space left over, but they're nowhere near as full-featured. The distro I use comes on six CDs or one DVD, but only the first disc is the OS. The rest is all software, which is optional.

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

and which OS do you use?

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Linux..first time I tried it was using the Suse edtion, and I installed it directly on to my hard disk.

Well I buggered something up, as I had 5 partitions and thought "I'll install linux on my 10gig one, and leave the rest of my system intact".

What happened? Through some bizarre turn of events I ended up formatting my entire disk as all the partitions became inaccessbile. Somehow.

It does look very tempting, I might get a separate hard disk and go from there.

11. Anti-Trend

Mandrake Linux, which has merged with Connectiva. They're now called "Mandriva", pronounced "Man-dreeva". It's like a better Red Hat, in that it shares similar design decisions but uses the arguably superior KDE desktop while Red Hat prefers Gnome. They've also done away with the infamous "dependancy hell" so many Red Hat users suffer from. I like Mandrake because while any Linux system can be tuned to meet your specific needs, Mandrake probably takes the least amount of work to get tuned exactly the way *I* want it.

12. Addis

Addis The King

One thing stopping me is the huge downloads, or the money you pay for a CD version with manuals. I'd try mandrake or any easy to use/setup linux if I get round to it. Would be start.

13. Anti-Trend

There are various vendors that will send you a set of Linux CDs for the cost of the medium (about $6 for 6CDs). That's the way I got my Linux distros when I couldn't get broadband.

14. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hmmm, every time you post a new distro AntiTrend I wana try linux again! maybe you can convert me away from windows someday?

15. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

if a SP3 is released you won't need conversion help :)

I'll download kubuntu tonight, I need a new live distro for winxp salvage tools :/

16. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

So to get the full 6 cds or on dvd you paid AT?? coz the free download u only get three discs

17. Addis

Addis The King

Come on Sniper. Join the dark side, give in to your anger and hate. Give in to your anger... hahahaha *evil laugh*

18. Anti-Trend

I have a paid membership to Mandrakesoft, so I can get the full release in its entirety as soon as it's out. My way of putting my money where my mouth is. But you don't really need all six discs if you have a broadband connection. You just have to set up your update mirrors for 'main' and 'contrib' sources, and you'll have the most current version of all the packages on the full DVD set. If you add the 'PLF-Free' and 'PLF-NonFree' sources as well, you'll have even more software choices than those who have the full disc set.

-AT

P.S. - Once you have the 'main' mirror set up, you don't even need the CDs anymore :)