Kubuntu - God I love it.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Matt555, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I have Kubuntu installed, configured, lookin' sexy and running great.

I installed it, sorted my graphics drivers, sorted various programs, sorted multimedia codecs, installed a new kernel to make full use of my dual core CPU and now it's BLOODY AWESOME!!!

I'll be saying goodbye to Windows for the most part, the only thing I'll use that for is WiFi if I use it in the Uni buildings.

I'm using Kate as a text / code editor as it's not too bad (and it highlights code), I've also installed GCC so I can compile my programs in terminal and run them like we do in our lab sessions.

I've got everything I need, Adept is such a good package manager it's so easy to use and I've got so many choices of software, all available with a click!

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Screenshot
    [​IMG]

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I've tried quite a few Linux distributions but I always come back to Kubuntu, :)

Don't get your hopes up too much about XGL. I tried to configure it using *ubuntu and failed. You will lose hair over it! However if you have a spare wig nearby, you should give it a try. Just a note though, most of the XGL tutorials are for Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. You have to configure Compiz differently in KDE.

That being said though, I am going to give XGL on Ubuntu a second go. I'll let you know how I get on and give you some tips if I am successful

XGL is VERY easy to set up in openSUSE 10.1. So if you want to sample the taste of 3D desktop defined, you should probably look at SUSE. SUSE is a good, all round polished distribution. But the package management and update system is screwed. It's just sooooooooo slow :(

[ot] Whatever you do, don't use the extra Kubuntu KDE repositories! Updating KDE to 3.5.5 will cause some problems [/ot]

4. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Of course when Novell invented it... I hope that in edgy it will be easier to configure it...

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

me too,
    [drop-kicks win]me[/drop-kicks win]

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]
    *shrug* KDE 3.5.5 works perfectly in Debian. In fact, there are 1,200 changes over 3.5.4, over 300 of which are bugfixes, and it seems faster too. What problems does it have in *ubuntu?[/ot]

Nice desktop, Matt555! By the way, I noticed that your taskbar is transparent, but your desktop switcher is not. If you want it to match, simply right-click on it -> Pager Options -> Background -> Transparent. If you like it as-is, it is of course your desktop! ;-)

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Thanks for that man, nice little tip!

8. Addis

Addis The King

3.5.5 is working fine for me on Debian unstable. It does actually seem a bit faster, but not sure. I'm sure Ubuntu will have the problem sorted soon.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Kubuntu even had my WiFi sorted, I was using it to browse the web in my Oracle / SQL lab class, I had my laptop next to the desktop I was using. I can't believe how good this really is, if I can get my printer and webcam working I think I'll kiss goodbye to Windows for good, I've not booted Windows since Saturday evening, which for me is quite something :p

10. Anti-Trend

WARNING: Prolonged use of the Linux operating system can hyper-sensitize you to the general inferiority of the MS Windows™ platform. You may find yourself noticing and becoming upset about things which were previously commonplace. For instance:

• Random lockups
    • Malware infections
    • Lack of multiple virtual desktops
    • Abysmal security
    • No tabs in web or filesystem browsers
    • Registry corruption
    • Poor multitasking
    • General slowdowns over time
    • Data loss
    • Bloat and sluggishness
    • Filesystem fragmentation and corruption
    • Inablility to customize the GUI to your liking
    • Steve Ballmer dancing

For these reasons, it is recommended that you avoid Linux and stick to what you're comfortable with. After all...

"Windows™ with Internet Explorer™: it's the devil you know!"©

© Phrase not really copyrighted by Microsoft. Yet.

Attached Files:

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You know I have noticed those things already, I may have to visit a detox camp to get myself off 'the Linux' and back on the straight and narrow Windows path.

/sarcasm

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

now THAT is really is funny, LOL, good one AT

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've installed XGL as I can use it in a session when I log in but it's not working properly, it's slow and there's no effects whatsoever, I guess something's wrong, as it's not fully supported yet I'll leave it for when it is. I'm quite happy with good old 'plain' (I use that term very loosely) KDE at the minute =D

14. Anti-Trend

Hey Matt555, it sounds like you may not have 3D accelleration. Please run the following command and post the results:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
        GLX_ATI_render_texture
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Generic

16. Anti-Trend

Yep, looks like ATI's drivers are installed and working! So, you're right, it does seem to be a problem with the implementation (or at least the configuration) of XGL on Kubuntu.

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah, when I do updates and it searches for compiz updates it simply says 'error' where the others are downloading, maybe that's the problem?

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Also when I view compiz packages in Adept they don't say they're installed. When I request an install the compiz package says 'install' and the compiz-kde package says 'BREAK (Install)'

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

[​IMG]
    Like that.

20. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

When I tried to configure XGL+Compiz in Kubuntu I had exactly the same problem as you. A mass slowdown with no 3D accelaration.

As for your package breakage. Go to a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install