Laptop Computer Choosing

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Red X, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Red X

Red X Geek Trainee

My uncle is getting me and my mom a laptop seperately which one should I choose for myself: Inspiron E1405;Intel® CoreTM Proc Duo T2300E (1.66GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache) or HP DV6105US

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

If you can live with a smaller screen and Intel graphics, grab the Dell.
    Better performer all round. Bigger HDD and more RAM, you won't be sorry.

3. Red X

Red X Geek Trainee

Is the dell laptop good for pc gamers. My teacher just now told me the hp is smoother.

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

While the HP may play games better, that's not the primary feature you should be looking for in a laptop. Battery life, screen size, HDD and RAM quantity, available USB ports, keypad size and feel, burner or combo drive, wired or wireless LAN?....they all play an important part.
    The ability to play games should not be your focus point.

5. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Well that's up to him really.
    If this is a PC being given to you, and may replace a desktop you will want it to perform better in games. If portability is your priority then choose based on that.

6. Red X

Red X Geek Trainee

Connection: When I try to set up a connection, it asks me about a WPA key, what the fuck is that? I really need to do a lot of stuff on this computer.

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

basically u hav to ring microsoft to activate the windows copy. u have to key in a code and then the code they give u goes into ur computer. u can also do it quicler by connecting it to a dial up modem and click activate by internet.

8. alavena

alavena Geek Trainee

WPA is a wireless security protocol intended to replace WEP. You can read about it here:

Wi-Fi Protected Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The request means that your wireless access point or router was configured with a WPA in order to keep strangers from using your internet connection and/or decyphering the data it sends and receives wirelessly.

The solution is to access your access point/router's configuration and look for the WPA seed it's got. That's the one Windows is requesting.

9. Red X

Red X Geek Trainee

I have Wireless Router it is: Linksys Model:BEFSR41. Can it wireless connect to another computer. I have the dell laptop now. Please give me instructions on how to set up the connection properly. Again, where do I find the Network Key.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Network key will be in the router. You'll have to log onto it from a wired connection and find this out. Exactly where, I don't know, but that should be something in the manual.